DPM 2016 UR4 console freezes all the time

MVP
Have installed UR4 and on DPM 2016 and now all the time the console freezes. Local on the dpm vm but also remotely. Have anybody have or seen this problem.
15 Replies

When I start local or remote DPM console it freezes for a couple of seconds but after than it will work for a couple of hours whithout big problems

@Andre van den Berg wrote:
Have installed UR4 and on DPM 2016 and now all the time the console freezes. Local on the dpm vm but also remotely. Have anybody have or seen this problem.

Yes, I have the same problem.

Found any solution?

Same problem.  Console freezes at startup.  Have had it work once.  I uninstalled CU4 from my remote console to have access fpr now.  But cannot access Local DPM Console.  Freezes right after startup.

So, I think I've found part of the issue and it has to do with MSSQLSvc/SPN's.

I only had 1 of 2 created for the backupserver.

MSSQLSvc/Server.domain.ext:1433  <-- created but created on SQL Service account not server.

MSSQLSvc/Server.domain.ext

Currently I've deleted the SQL Service SPN and created both under the Server.  Now Console stays open longer, but eventually freezes(1st time through).  Still working on it.

Getting tired of DPM.  Uphill battle that never ends.  Between HV, SAN storage, VHDX's, MBS and complete fail on all accounts.  I'm getting Tired.  Just lost another "Storage Drive", shows fine in MBS but DPM 2016 says Pththhth!!!!  Do you have any answers MS?  Console still F'd after CU4 update.

This remains an issue for me as well.  Is there any reliable fix?  The console locks up either immediately or within a few minutes when using UR4.

Same here. Attempting to uninstall UR4 from a Remote Admin console to see if I can at least make UR2 functional on that box while leaving UR4 on the main DPM server.

I can confirm that having a remote admin console that is only running UR2 appears to be working fine.

May help some of you.

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_servplat/forum/par_sysserv/dpm-2016-console-crashes/b...

Check your files as Balboa41 about halfway down posts.

Still fighting the issue.  Though the above gave me control for about an hour at a time.  DPM CP is much more responsive during this period.

Hey guys,

Been battling the same issue but I've also seen threads like this for earlier updates, so not completely convinced issues are UR4 related, or just something that hits the DPM database after a while.

I have today found the following very useful and clear page regarding the reindexing of DPM, which is something we've never previously done. Our database was heavily fragmented, so will did a full offline reindex.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2015/03/31/dpmdb-maintenance-part-2-identifying-and-dealing-...

Since doing this, I've used the console for a while without any noticeable freezing - before it was freezing pretty much every time I tried to look at something new or configure anything.

Might just be luck so far, or might just be our situation, but definitely something to check (and no harm in doing it - though take a manual DB backup first of course!).

Ben

Thanks for the article.  Saving it.  Seems to have also helped on my system.  Like you, I'll wait to judge for a few weeks.  But between this and the last article I posted, my system seems to be running much better again.  Adding back HV backups slowly.  But console is much more stable it seems.

So, seems I had a couple issues like Reports not installing during initial install.  But after some work getting the reports installed(Uninstall Reinstall of DPM16).  Updates.  Database restored.  I seem to be working with a combination of your article and the article I found.  

I still get pauses and crashes in the console after a lot of use.  But seem to mostly happen when jobs build up or something else has gone wrong.  But overall, current version is working, though buggy and Reports are working again within the console.

Hope CU5 is out soon with some serious fixes.

Thanks again for your post.

New Problem:  I'll start another thread but still ask.

Dedup locking up storage volumes and drives to the Backup HV.

My latest issue with storage seems to be related to the drives being lost on the Hyper-V backup system to the ISCSI storage connected to the Host because of Dedup.  Anyone else?

So, I didn't get it in my Windows Updates though I am set for other software.  But I've also always looked up CU5 instead of RU5.  April 2018.  I've installed and though console "gets busy/freezes", so far it comes back.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090835/update-rollup-5-for-system-center-2016-data-protect...

I applied this to a 2016 DC Server, DPM 2016 CU4 applied server.  Hope it helps.