SOLVED

Where to start with SCCM2012

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I have been working with SCCM 2008 and now 2012 for about 3 years now. Deploying desktops (thousands), creating device collections, packaging apps and deploying. Basically day to day stuff, but now I want to dig deeper and understand it better. I have gone through the setting up a lab process, which is up and running, but would like suggestions  / recommendations where I go from here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Patrick

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Garth Jones (MVP)
Solution
Everything I have learned from SCCM 2007/2012/Current Branch has been learned through satisfying business requirements, keeping up to date with the best blogs etc. so you follow the curve with what is possible with this tool, and ensure that you are aware of all the new features being introduced with the feature releases - test and get hands on with them in your lab.
The only other ingredient is time - you have to spend time using it to understand the quirks and foibles. If you are not working in a team that allows time to do the above, leave and get another job in a team that does.
Finally, understand the logs; all of them. Know where to look in the server or client logs when things go wrong. Being able to troubleshoot under the hood effectively is the most important skill in being a good SCCM Engineer as opposed to an average Joe.

If you already have a lab running, I can recommend the Step By Step Guides for System Center Current Branch from windows-noob.com. They take you by the hand through a large number of scenarios, ranging from relatively simple to quite complex.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Garth Jones (MVP)
Solution
Everything I have learned from SCCM 2007/2012/Current Branch has been learned through satisfying business requirements, keeping up to date with the best blogs etc. so you follow the curve with what is possible with this tool, and ensure that you are aware of all the new features being introduced with the feature releases - test and get hands on with them in your lab.
The only other ingredient is time - you have to spend time using it to understand the quirks and foibles. If you are not working in a team that allows time to do the above, leave and get another job in a team that does.
Finally, understand the logs; all of them. Know where to look in the server or client logs when things go wrong. Being able to troubleshoot under the hood effectively is the most important skill in being a good SCCM Engineer as opposed to an average Joe.

View solution in original post