Is Co-Management just for Intune and SCCM or can it be used with Intune and AD/GPO?

Copper Contributor

Is Co-Management just for Intune and SCCM or can it be used with Intune and AD/GPO?

6 Replies
Co-management is SCCM+AD+Intune+AAD it allows you to bridge the current SCCM+AD state of traditional devices into Intune+AAD by allowing all of them simultaneously whilst rationalising your on prem dependencies to allow you to make the full step into modern
but if your question is JUST Intune and AD. Then no.

That's a real shame.. I have so much that relies on Group Policy that is just not possible in Intune. Printers and GPP.

No "shame" required. You can migrate near 100% of on-Prem GP settings, including all security and GPPrefs items with PolicyPak. 

Videos to see at:

https://www.policypak.com/integration/policypak-and-mdm-utilities.html

I have looked at PolicyPak and agree it would 'solve' the current shortcomings in Intune it's just that with Intune being touted from MSFT as the way to provide modern device management the shame is that it lacks the functionality to do this without third party tools or frankly what amount to workarounds.

I really had hoped Co-Management would of bridged that gap especially given no one ever seems to acknowledge Intune's shortcomings and/or offer some insight in to how they'll be addressed.

Please MSFT. I am very keen to provide Cloud first solutions but I need to the tooling to do so without pushing more cost to my customers.

That's just the deal with MDM though. You have to wrap your head around "Less is More" from MDM if you want to go with an MDM solution. It's very "Zen"... Less is More.

In other words, the MDM platform isn't trying to replicate all of GP's settings and complexity and feature sets. And if you want something from the "original" way, you'll need to figure out a way to get that functionality 'ported' over yourself.

PolicyPak was build to de-couple GP's "settings" from the GP "engine" .. so you can do things exactly like what you're trying to do. 

Anyway: It's a common ask.. "Why cannot MDM do **MORE** if Microsoft wants me to move over?"

Again: With MDM ... "Less is More". You'll have to make due with less of everything in MDM.

You can think of SCCM like a TANK.

You can think of Group Policy like a CAR.

You can think of MDM like a SCOOTER.

MDM / Scooter has LESS to go wrong and less moving parts; so it's cheaper. But you cannot complain when you get caught in the rain / you don't have enough "coverage."

That being said, my own scooter has a nice 3rd party basket I put on it, which gets me thru about 80% of what I would need a car for.

See where I'm going with this? You cannot be dependent on Microsoft to port "it" over.. whatever "it" is. If you want "it" you have to buy or build it yourself if you want it now .. or possibly ever.