Folder Redirection

Brass Contributor

If we are talking about Microsoft 365, I would very much like to see "Folder Redirection" to OneDrive.. so that Desktop, Documents can be easily retained during a "Reset/Recovery" process. Like State Migration..

11 Replies
You can configure this today via policy, but it is more challenging than it needs to be. We are working to simplify this for a future Windows 10 release.
Do you have a timeframe for when this is likely to be?
Awesome!

@Michael Niehaus, Will the two methods be compatible? Can I set with GPO today, and the new 'simplified' way take over later?

It's still a little early to say.  Today, you have to manually set up OneDrive for Business, which gets the folders in place; once that's done, policies to redirect the folders work fine (although existing data doesn't move).  Hence the reason to make it easier overall :)  I wouldn't expect the changes to cause any problems if you've already set this up.

There is an issue with redirection after Windows Updates applies. Here is the documentation for configuring known folder redirection with OneDrive for Business: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Redirect-known-folders-to-OneDrive-for-Business-e1b3963c-7c...
I guess first we would need an MDM policy to autoconfig OneDrive for Business and then a redirect policy. Hopefully all that as part of AutoPilot/FirstLogin.. :)

@Michael Niehaus: Very neat, thanks.

I'm sure you're aware, but the the three largest challenges: 

1) OneDrive needs get folders laid down prior to first GPO applies

2) Folder Redirection should be more friendly (not overwrite target files) if they exist in the destination (using '[x] Move the contents of Documents to the new location")

3) A SymLink (or similar) to catch applications 'hard-coded' to write to the old (pre-redirection) paths (C:\Users\<user>\Documents\)

and now do all that without GPO/Azure AD only.. ;)

@Jason Moore really got everyone excited in his 2017 Ignite demo ( https://youtu.be/ftZzOZhB4BE?t=573 )

Hey @Michael Niehaus, since the sneaky "Silently redirect Windows known folders to OneDrive" GPO setting is now rolling out, do you know any dependencies to the standard Folder redirection GPO setting? For example, are you aware about any data loss or other issues, when both is configured for redirecting (same) folders to OneDrive?