SOLVED

When will Surface Studio get a VR Development Ready GPU?

Copper Contributor

I really would like to try doing some mixed and virtual reality development on my Surface Studio but I could not get the Oculus Rift or the HP Windows Mixed Reality head set to work with my Surface Studio.  This is a shame because Visual Studio works great. Is there any hope for an external GPU solution until the hardware gets refrehed?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Jose Oglesby (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Likely once the Studio 2 is released. From looking at the new Surface Book 2, they can easily do the same hardware upgrade to the Studio and make it VR/MR ready. It would be great for developers to have a nice workstation, but there's other hardware in the box that will need fixing first. Specifically the poor storage subsystem and the lack of USB 3.1 and the lack of any serviceability. Keep an eye out for release rumors, I'm guessing next spring.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jose Oglesby (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Likely once the Studio 2 is released. From looking at the new Surface Book 2, they can easily do the same hardware upgrade to the Studio and make it VR/MR ready. It would be great for developers to have a nice workstation, but there's other hardware in the box that will need fixing first. Specifically the poor storage subsystem and the lack of USB 3.1 and the lack of any serviceability. Keep an eye out for release rumors, I'm guessing next spring.

View solution in original post