Surface Pro 3 - Touchpad error

Copper Contributor

Hi there, 

Every time I touch my touchpad (which usually acts as a mouse) on my Surface Pro 3, my screen turns off.  It doesn't shut down the whole tablet, it basically just locks it.  The mouse icon might move slightly with my finger, but after about a second my screen goes black.  I can touch a key on the keyboard to turn the screen back on, and log back in, but if I use my touchpad again the same error happens.  So my keys work fine, but my touchpad does not.

I've tried to toubleshoot this and held the Power and Up volume buttons for 10 seconds, when I saw a factory re-set type of screen, the touchpad worked fine, so I know that it does still work.

Can anyone help me with this?  I know I can just touch the screen instead of the pad, but I'm so used to using the touchpad, I'd love to be able to use it again!

Thanks!

5 Replies
I think you have a hardware problem or something related to drivers. Is it an original cover or a "compatible" one?

Also try with other if you can or if you know someone who has one
Have you tried taking it to a local Microsoft Store to have them take a look? I would also double check if you have all the latest system updates.

Turns out all I needed was to clean the keyboard connectors with an alcohol wipe! Now everything is working fine.  Thank you for your suggestions though.

That's good to know, going to keep that in mind should my Surface Pro 4 start acting up. Thanks for circling back!

Emma!

I am experiencing the same problem.  Can you be specific about how you cleaned the connectors?  (where, with what, etc...)  I'd appreciate it if you could email me at czayas63@gmail.com.  I only have an Outlook account because it was used to register my Surface and I really don't use it.

Thanks in advance for your help!