Surface Hub acting as a second screen for a Surface Hub

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have two surface hubs, and I would like one of the surface hub to act as a monitor for the primary surface hub.

Basically, I would want both the surface hubs to display the same thing. (Same as visualizer duplicate from your laptop)

1 Reply

Hi Khong

If all you are looking to do is duplicate one Surface Hub on to the other (which is something we're doing in one of our boardrooms where the wall partition can be removed between 2 rooms) then you can use something as simple as a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to plug the primary Surface Hub (using the DisplayPort Out port) into the secondary Surface Hub (using the HDMI in port).

Note that the maximum length of cable you should be using is normally no more than 2m for DisplayPort 1.2, though we have managed to successfully use up to 10m on DisplayPort cables alone.

However, something to note is this can end up causing the secondary Surface Hub to always switch on and launch the Connect app when the primary Surface Hub is woken/used.

There's 2 ways to prevent this if undesired:

1) Turn off the option for the Connect app to automatically launch. You can find this in Settings > Surface Hub > Projection

2) Implement some kind of HDMI distribution amplifier box that you can switch on/off, so when it is off the connection to the secondary Surface Hub is essentially switched off (for note, this is what we're doing due to them being used independently when the room is split into 2 rooms with the wall divider).

Another point to note is that the Surface Hub cannot duplicate the screen when using Miracast on the primary Surface Hub due to HDCP restrictions.

Hope this helps!

D