Surface Hub 2 // Teams Mode 2 not working

Deleted
Not applicable

We have quite a few brand new Surface Hub 2S’es that refuse to accept our Mode 2 settings (show Teams tile on the Start Menu – its currently showing Skype for Business). We have followed the official guidelines found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-surface-hub#make-teams-the-default-calling-and...

Following Option 2 (Intune approach) we have created a Custom Device Configuration Policy and assigned it to the Surface Hub 2 accounts. The settings are as follows:

1.png

and

2.png

Below, we see that the Device Configuration Policy has been successfully applied to the Surface Hub 2S device, however, we still only see the “Skype for Business” tile on the start menu – even after a restart!!

3.png

We have also tried to Option 1 using the Provisioning Profile using a USB stick, but it fails to be applied as show in the Settings panel after selecting it from the USB stick. We have used the Microsoft provided config file for Mode 2 found on the OneDrive link.

Any suggestions as to what can be wrong with our approach as we are eager to get our many Surface Hub 2S’es deployed in our organisation?

10 Replies

Hello @Deleted,

It's possible that the account used is the one to blame here. Have you run the account verification script?

Logs should shed some light if everything checks out with the account. Please open a support case to look into this.

Thank you,

Cezar

@Deleted  Were you able to resolve the issue? I am too facing this issue on my Surface Hubs. No matter what mode Teams is set to, it does not work at all.

@neeldaya what is your Surface Hub affiliation? Is it joined to your on prem AD or is it Azure AD joined? We are running into issues with our Surface Hub 2S device where we seem to have a catch 22. When we join the Surface Hub to our on prem AD we cannot seem to use Teams.

Found a blog post that kind of indicates it is not supported: https://y0av.me/2019/05/29/surface-hub-skype-for-business-vs-teams/ , the blog post indicates it is not possible to connect to an on-prem environment with Teams. However I've not found any Microsoft Docs confirming this.

When we join the device to Azure AD, we cannot use Single Sign In with office 365 apps, which seems to be a known issue when looking at the troubleshooting docs from microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/known-issues-and-additional-info-about-surface-hub Single sign-in when Azure AD joined

Surface Hub was designed for communal spaces, which impacts the way user credentials are stored. Because of this, there are currently limitations in how single sign-in works when devices are Azure AD joined. Microsoft is aware of this limitation and is actively investigating options for a resolution.

So here we are trying to embrace this Teams direction and not wanting to use Skype for Business anymore, but Microsoft is making it very difficult for us to present a complete solution to our users...

@Philip152

@neeldaya

What is your Surface Hub affiliation? Is it joined to your on prem AD or is it Azure AD joined? We are running into issues with our Surface Hub 2S device where we seem to have a catch 22. When we join the Surface Hub to our on prem AD we cannot seem to use Teams.

Found a blog post that kind of indicates it is not supported: y0av dot me/2019/05/29/surface-hub-skype-for-business-vs-teams/ , the blog post indicates it is not possible to connect to an on-prem environment with Teams. However I've not found any Microsoft Docs confirming this.

When we join the device to Azure AD, we cannot use Single Sign In with office 365 apps, which seems to be a known issue when looking at the troubleshooting docs from microsoft: docs dot microsoft dot com/en-us/surface-hub/known-issues-and-additional-info-about-surface-hub

Single sign-in when Azure AD joined

Surface Hub was designed for communal spaces, which impacts the way user credentials are stored. Because of this, there are currently limitations in how single sign-in works when devices are Azure AD joined. Microsoft is aware of this limitation and is actively investigating options for a resolution.

So here we are trying to embrace this Teams direction and not wanting to use Skype for Business anymore, but Microsoft is making it very difficult for us to present a complete solution to our users...

@edwins1370 

If you are refering to "Skype for Business supports both On-Premises and Online deployments, whereas Teams is available online only." it doesn't mean that it doesn't work if you have joined the device to a local AD, but to the fact that there is no Teams on-premises. Teams services are only in Office 365. You can still use Skype for Business on-prem.

The question here is if Teams signs in when joined to Azure AD.

If the device account is enabled for Teams (and you can connect that account to a desktop with Teams) then there could be a number of issues like Conditional Access, claim rules, network and so on. Since it;s hard to troubleshoot here, kindly open a case to look into this.

Thank you,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu  Thanks for your quick reply. We will attempt another AD on prem affiliation and take your comments on board. Will open a ticket if we cannot figure it out!

I am having a similar problem, but now the provisioning files are no longer accessible on the Microsoft website. 

@mritchey I can access them here.

Let us know if you still have issues

Thanks,

Cezar

Hi @Cezar Cretu, I can happily confirm we have everything working ok now. The root cause of not being able to use the Teams application while using an on-prem AD affiliation was the configured UPN of the Device Account. Once we changed this from contoso.internal to contoso.com Teams started working. So it ended up being a relatively easy fix :)
Happy to hear this and thank you for taking the time to let us know!

Best regards,
Cezar