SOLVED

Bitlocker error when booting surface hub

Copper Contributor

We have a new Surface Hub in our office.

When booting the surface hub it does not boot properly. Instead it loads the BitLocker recovery page. I suspect that when the device was being set-up someone selected an incorrect option and tried to connect the device to the domain. The error means that device is requesting the recovery key - an unknown recovery key (I have spoken with IT and they don't use BitLocker).

If you select "Escape for more recovery options" and then "Skip this drive" the hope was that I could then re-install the OS from the cloud. I however cannot find this option. I have tried "Use a device" however I cannot find a suitable device (If I could find the image anywhere then I would download this to a USB drive). I was hoping that an option might be to install from the cloud, however this option is never displayed either. "Reset" to re-install Windows isn't an option either apparently, as when I select this I get the error "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

I am looking to either find a way around the bit locker error, or a way to download the correct Surface Hub OS and reinstall. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Dan Fenner (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Dan Fenner

Unfortunately you're going to have to raise a warranty call to get a new SSD shipped with the image on it if you don't know the Bitlocker key.

Raise a support ticket here and the team will get back to you. In my experience they're usually really good and have sent me a new SSD within 24 hours before.

In future, please ensure you save a copy of the Bitlocker key by going to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. You'll need a USB drive to save it to. You can find more info on this here

For info, Microsoft do not make the Windows 10 Team OS image available for download. It is currently exclusively used on Surface Hub and only available using Recovery from the Cloud on a Surface Hub or from the factory.

Thanks

Dan

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dan Fenner (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Dan Fenner

Unfortunately you're going to have to raise a warranty call to get a new SSD shipped with the image on it if you don't know the Bitlocker key.

Raise a support ticket here and the team will get back to you. In my experience they're usually really good and have sent me a new SSD within 24 hours before.

In future, please ensure you save a copy of the Bitlocker key by going to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. You'll need a USB drive to save it to. You can find more info on this here

For info, Microsoft do not make the Windows 10 Team OS image available for download. It is currently exclusively used on Surface Hub and only available using Recovery from the Cloud on a Surface Hub or from the factory.

Thanks

Dan

View solution in original post