Surface Book 2 energy bump after detaching tablet

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone!

I hope that I am in the right spot with my (peculiar?) Surface Book 2 battery problem. 
A while ago I noticed my battery life in laptop mode to be very pathetic. It shows me that only Battery 2 (in the base) is being used, but what is more, whenever I detach the tablet and re-attach it, battery 2 drops from e.g. 89% to 66%. Battery one remains on 100% all the time.

I tried a range of fixes including installing new drivers to no effect. I have all the updates installed. A reset solved the problem, but only temporarily (can this be caused by updates???). I gave up in the end and returned the device and got an exchange unit… that after some weeks now has the EXACT SAME problem?

Are there more people who have experienced this? I couldn’t find any discussions, hence my post. Any fix available other than what support suggested (do another reset, but honestly, I am getting tired of it!).

Thanks in advance for any hints!

1 Reply

@janine156 Try the following:

1. Make sure the display is attached to the base and the base is connected to AC power
  2. open device manager as administrator
  3. Find the batteries inside the device manager (Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery)
  4. Right-click and uninstall both batteries
  5. Right-click the top-node which is named the same as your computer and choose to search for changed hardware. Your Surface should detect and automatically reinstall both batteries.
  6. Wait a few minutes and then restart your device.
  7. Test if your batteries work as intended again.