Microsoft mice: design issues to perfect

Copper Contributor
Dear Microsoft team,

In May 2017 I bought a Microsoft Surface Mouse and after five months of use, the scroll wheel stopped functioning. I then contacted the technical support, and they sent me another which a few months after I ended up suffering from the same problem.

After those two products had suffered from the same issue I decided to tear down the mouse, the problem lies in a tiny plastic hexagonal prism that fits on the mechanism that detects the wheel movement.

Microsoft Surface Mouse - Scroll wheel issue.jpg

Then in December 2017, I bought a Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse which has been mechanically functioning nicely and is a major update in ergonomics compared with the Microsoft Surface Mouse. The issue with this product lies on the molded TPE plastic which covers the sides, it attracts dirt easily. For the past year, I have successfully cleaned it with a humid cotton cloth, but a few weeks ago the plastic started deteriorating.

Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse - Plastic issue_01.jpgMicrosoft Surface Precision Mouse - Plastic issue_02.jpg

Although I'm a Mac user, I prefer Microsoft's accessories above Apple's and appreciate the effort Microsoft is putting in releasing new products that stand out from other manufacturers. But Microsoft needs more attention to design considering the heavy use of these products and their materials confront.

Looking forward to hearing from you receive my regards,

Alvaro Anton

0 Replies