S4B Server is not supported on Virtualisation?

Copper Contributor

Hi, Everyone!

I have a question about S4B Server 2019 requiremens.

Recently, I read Tom's Blog post.

Skype for Business Server 2019 is not supported on Virtualisation
https://tomtalks.blog/2019/04/skype-for-business-server-2019-is-not-supported-on-virtualisation/

In this article, It seems S4B Server is not supported deploying to the virtual environment.

Is it true!?

3 Replies

Hi,

Looks like @Deleted is correct, it is not supported, as you see in his blog post he also contacted Microsoft support to get it confirmed.

Even if Skype for Business 2015 Server is supported (?) and Lync 2013, I newer saw anyone follow the virtualization guides fully. You have to have a dedicated host for your SfB server and then most companies think that it is better to install SfB on dedicated hardware instead of using virtualization. 

I've helped customers with voice problems in Skype for Business and all of them that were using virtualization solved their problems by switching to physical servers. Not saying that running SfB on virtual servers won't work but it is a common problem source.

Hi, Linus-san

Thank you for reply.
I understood the situation.

Hello@Tomohiro tsukui 

If you are talking about supportability, it is supported as mentioned in the technet  that you can install in physical or virtual enviroment

it can be recommended to install on physical, but sure it is supported to be deploy in virtual