Caller ID

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

Can the caller ID info for all users be the service number for the company? Dont want people calling back the number they see on the caller ID. Trying make sure all calls go through the auto attendant. We have nothing ON-PREM everthing is in the cloud for us. Thanks.  

27 Replies

I second this request.   Having the ability to manipulate outbound CallerId's would be a very nice feature to have, either to point at an OnPrem IVR, an Third Party IVR or a Skype Online IVR.

Does this only work with on-prem or can it be used for cloud based sfb? If it can be used for cloud based sfb am i required to use powershell?

yes, this for online and needs to be configured through Remote powershell.

Im not familar with powershell at all, but looks like I'll have to starting doing my research this weekend. Thanks for the info.

feel free to file a support ticket as needed for our folks to help.

That support page regarding Caller ID needs to be updated. It was recently edited by someone to remove old PowerShell cmdlets, but they never added the new ones that would allow you to assign a Service number (like used for AA) to all users as their caller ID. 

Just read in the lead-in....it talks about changing the caller ID of users to a Service number, but the instructions and example are only about how to make the caller ID anonymous for all.  This seems sloppy and I would expect more from Microsoft.

Additionally, this evening I received confirmation that the new Caller ID PowerShell cmdlet are not working yet and  SfB beta tech support looking into it. They said: "the code release is lagging behind the cmdlet release and engineering is investigating this." So, I guess just stay tuned.

But what is frustrating is that a listing of the necessary cmdlets and instructions for working with Caller ID are not available anywhere online -- that is, except for the few on that incomplete page. I've been learning by trial and error, along with some help from tech support.

This is such a basic need for anyone deploying SfB Cloud PBX company-wide. I just don't get why this appears to be such a difficult thing to implement...it should not require PowerShell, but be implemented and controlled from within the 365 tenant.

I agree, it really shouldn't be this difficult.

Really appreciate your feedback. I am involving the necessary teams to have a look and fix.

Also please follow the support ticket for fix resolution. Thanks again!

Hi Geoffrey, Thank you so much for taking time to test and explaning here. I am involving my team to have a check and update the public page.

Good News! Synced with the necessary team and the details will be updated in a week! Thanks again @Geoffrey Plank

@Geoffrey Plank Thank you so much for this write-up!

@Mohamad Saleem

The entire section that Geoffrey wrote up about setting an outbound CID to a service number is not live on the page you referenced.

That page omits what is below and only gives instructions on how to set your CID to anonymous (I had to come find this documentation by Geoffrey to get my company up and running):

To Get Office 365 and CallerID Settings Info on an user:

Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity "amos.marble@contoso.com"

New-CsCallingLineIdentity – Creates a new Line Identity named “MainNumber” with a Service Number:

New-CsCallingLineIdentity -identity MainNumber -Description MainNumber -Tenant xf4ddfe5-c94e-4418-a881-0e8bfXXXX6b -BlockIncomingPstnCallerID $false -CallingIDSubstitute Service -ServiceNumber 1XXXXXXXXXX

New-CsCallingLineIdentity – Creates a new Caler ID  policy for setting CallerID to Anonymous:

New-CsCallingLineIdentity -identity MainNumber -Description MainNumber -Tenant af4xxxfe5-c94e-4418-a881-0exxxx6086b -CallingIDSubstitute Anonymous

Set-CsCallingLineIdentity – Change an existing Caller ID Policy called "MainNumber" to use a different Service Number or Change from Anonymous to a Service number:

Set-CsCallingLineIdentity -identity MainNumber -CallingIDSubstitute Service -ServiceNumber 1XXXXXXXXXX

Grant-CsCallingLineIdentity– Assign Caller ID policy "MainNumber" to a user (need to refer to it as a “-PolicyName”):

Grant-CsCallingLineIdentity -PolicyName MainNumber -Identity amos.marble@contoso.com –Tenant "af4dxxxx-c9xe-4418-a881-0e8bxxx086b"

Remove-CsCallingLineIdentity - To remove an existing CsCallingLineIdentity policy (i.e, one named MainNumber):

Remove-CsCallingLineIdentity -Identity MainNumber

This page still needs a lot of work.  The instructions to intially connect to the tenant via Powershell are incorrect.  There are at least two errors - some lines use the $credential variable, and some use the $cred variable, and the powershell session isn't imported.

It should be something like:

Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skype for Business Online\Modules\SkypeOnlineConnector\SkypeOnlineConnector.psd1"
$credential = Get-Credential

$session = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $credential

Import-PSSession $session

Geez, you guys.

I would like to know why the outbound Caller ID needs to be a service number.  Our tenant doesn't have Auto Attendant enabled yet, and at the moment, while I can set outbound caller ID to a number, I don't know how to receive calls on this number.

What am I missing?  Surely the point of this is so external parties see a number they can call back.

Cornish:  In my experience, outbound Caller ID dos not need to be a Service number. By default, it is the user phone number (aka DID number or LineUri). 

If you don't have OrgAA (auto attendent) enabled, then you should set the Caller ID to the user phone number, or else, you're right, parties will not be able to call back using a Service number that's unassigned to an OrgAA.

What number have you currently set? Did you use a Service number? If so, I think you need to change things back to LineUri for your users until you have an OrgAA or Call Queue to which you can assign a Service number.

The problem I'm trying to solve is to have two phones monitor the same phone number.  I have set this up with both phones logged in to the same Skype account which works for some things, but we have a need to conference between the two phones, and you can't invite a user who's already on the call, so that's not going to work.

The second attempt is to have them use separate Skype accounts for their two phones and monitor the inbound group phone number via delegation, or some other means.  If I could assign outbound caller ID of these two phones to the delegate Skype user's number, which is not a service account, that would work; other than that we need the Service Number to be able to ring somewhere.

Is there a way for me to turn "OrgAA" on?

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Set-the-Caller-ID-for-a-user-c7323490-d9b7-421a-aa76-5bd485...

This is wrong:

Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skype for Business Online\Modules\SkypeOnlineConnector\SkypeOnlineConnector.psd1"

$Credential = get-credential

connect-msolservice -credential $cred

$session=New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $cred

This is correct:

Run this command ONLY once:

Then each time you want to start a session, run these:

$credential = Get-Credential

$session = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $credential

Import-PSSession $session

Another ping that this still isn't fixed.

Also, conspicuously absent from this document is how to remove the caller ID policy from a user without deleting the whole policy.

Trial and error reveals this to work:

Grant-CSCallingLineIdentity -PolicyName "" -Identity Fred.Smith@microsoft.com -Tenant "abcdefg-hijk-lmno-pqrs-tuvwxyzabcde"

This sets the policy back to blank, which is the default.

Frustrations abound - this is literally nowhere on the internet! 

Sorry, we will fix the public article soon.