SOLVED

disabling conversation history -S4B Online

Steel Contributor

We have always had conversation history and missed conversation logs to outlook turned off for our organization. Today users started complaining of conversations showing up in missed convos in outlook. I checked my client and sure enough the options were no longer greyed out. I would suggest others that enforce this double check. Noone in our org changed the policy. I reapplied the policy with the following powershell commands, but I would like to verify this process has not changed and these are the right commands. 

Import-Module LyncOnlineConnector

$cred = Get-Credential

$CSSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $cred

Import-PSSession $CSSession -AllowClobber

Get-CsClientPolicy | Where-Object {$_.EnableIMAutoArchiving -eq $False -and $_.EnableCallLogArchiving -eq $false}

Grant-CsClientPolicy -policyname tag:ClientPolicyNoSaveIMNoArchivingNoIMURL –Tenant xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

15 Replies

Well although noone replied here I ran the above commands and it seems to have worked if anyone is interested. 

This is a very nice script!

Did the script work for the entire enterprise? Can the script be used with O365 S4B?

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Yes sir, the script works for the whole org, and definately works with O365 s4b. Since it is actually setting a policy for the organization it applies to future users too. I did get complaints from some users that found archiving their s4b convos helpful, but the executives overrode any complaints.

Is there a way to disable IM history from the SfB mobile client? The "AllowSaveIMHistory" option in the Set-CsMobilityPolicy seem to only enable or disable saving IM and conferencing transcripts to the mobile device.

Updating an old thread since this thread shows up in search results. This can now be simplified - no longer necessary to supply the tenant ID, and no longer necessary to select one of the pre-canned policy tags like "ClientPolicyNoSaveIMNoArchivingNoIMURL" 

Instead you can now use the global policy like this:

set-CsClientPolicy -Identity Global -EnableIMAutoArchiving $false

This was possible as of March 10, 2017 when custom policies were announced. Previously you had to use one of the pre-canned policies. See Jamie Stark describe this new capability here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMorELgzoXc&feature=youtu.be

Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply, I actually already have EnableIMAutoArchiving set to false in the Global ClientPolicy. This disabled the IM history for the desktop clients, but mobile clients are still having IM information to outlook.

I am looking for a way to disable to mobile client IM history as well.

Did you ever find a fix for this?  We are seeing conversation history saved in the mailbox from S4B used via OWA (and I wouldn't be surprised if the mobile client is too).  We have it turned off for clients, but can figure out where to disable the rest.

You can either turn off conversation history from the client or from the tenant, the information above is how to turn it off from the tenant.

I used the commands successfully to disable conversation history, as per the business's decision. Guess what, 2 weeks later they've reversed the decision and now want it again! How do you re-enable it?

thanks.

Have you tried "set-CsClientPolicy -Identity Global -EnableIMAutoArchiving $true"? 

How do you turn it back on for the whole tenant?

I was able to turn it back on for windows users using the global policy, but mac users are not getting conversation history. Any ideas?

GPO only affects Windows computers. If you used the PowerShell commands to disable conv history at the tenant level, you will use the PowerShell commands to enable it again at the tenant level. To do it is easy, use the same commands but where it says disable change it to enable or if it says $false put $true instead.

Will this works with Teams Only tenant in office 365?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Yes sir, the script works for the whole org, and definately works with O365 s4b. Since it is actually setting a policy for the organization it applies to future users too. I did get complaints from some users that found archiving their s4b convos helpful, but the executives overrode any complaints.

View solution in original post