Skype for Business - On Prem - IOS Push Notification Status

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm currently looking into why users with iphones cannot enable Push notifications. When entering into the settings of the SfB application, it says under Push Notifications Status, "Not Supported. Please contact your system admin for additional information on how to enable Push Notifications". You can see this in the attached screen shot.

We have enable push notifications for Microsoft and Apple devices, and also have the federated partners set up.

I have run the following synthetic transactions to test the configuration which all returned success.

Test-CSFederatedPartner –targetfqdn <INTERNAL EDGE POOL> –domain push.lync.com

Test-CSMCXPushNotification – AcessEdgeFQDN <INTERNAL EDGE POOL>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael.

iphone.png

39 Replies

I do believe it was already depricated with Lync2013 client and don't think it's needed for SfB either actually. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh690047(v=ocs.15).aspx 

"If you use Windows Phone with Lync 2010 Mobile or Lync 2013 Mobile client, push notification is an important consideration.
If you use Lync 2010 Mobile on Apple devices, push notification is an important consideration.
If you use Lync 2013 Mobile on Apple devices, you no longer need push notification."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt723407.aspx

Is only mention the MPNS and not APNS right? 

Do you experience issues on apple devices ?

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply, We were experiencing the issue on both Microsoft and Apple devices. I have applied to the latest CU to my Lync 2013 lab and push notifications have now started working again. I will apply the latest CU to our SfB deployment.

Thanks

Michael.

Report back if you get it working. It wasn't for us on 2013, and we've just upgraded to SfB with all the latest patches and it still doesn't.

If someone calls me, and my phone is locked my iPhone will vibrate but display no notification of an incoming call.

We applied the lastest CU, and Push notifications are indeed working again. The question is whether this was due to installing the CU, or the reboot that was required.

What i have noticed is that on iPhones the application needs to be running in the background in order for it to work, if the application is closed (double click the button and swipe away), push notifications are never received. I haven't looked into this yet, but is this intended behaviour, or should it work?

Thanks

Michael.

So for clarity, open the Skype for Business app on your iPhone or iPad, tap the thumbnail image in the top left-hand corner and choose Settings.  What does it show under "Push Notifications Status"?

Thanks

James

Push Notifications Status still says "Not Supported. Please contact your system admin for additional information on how to enable Push Notifications".

However as Markus mentioned, I think that is due to the fact that iOS devices don't require Push. The links Markus posted didn't work so it's taken me time to find the relevant pages, but it clearly says that iOS and Android don't require Push, they require the application to be running in the background.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951412.aspx

PushiOS.png

Hello,

Not sure but let us try something

As per Microsoft only run if application run in background...

So go to settings --> business app --> check background refresh (or something like it)is enabled and make sure push notification is working. It should work.

I can tell that it is never logic to tell you contact your system administrator while you can check it on your own :)

Regards,

Ahmed Badawy

Hello,

In the Ignite session "BRK2086 - Plan for Skype for Business Mobile Clients" it was said something like: "Push notifications with the possibility to communicate messages to the lock screen, will be available in Office 365 first and then come to the on-prem software."

Take a look at my summary: https://kressmark.blogspot.se/2016/10/brk2086-plan-for-skype-for-business.html or the entire presentation available on demand here on the Tech communities site or youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oqxlE7UY6k

Unfortunately, I have no idea when it will be available for on-prem, but I hope soon :)

/mk

Hi Mattias,

I tested yesterday with on-prem account and I did recieve notification after I changed the settings I stated above :)

Thanks

I have on premise lync and no that the Skype for Business Server has fully patched as of last night the push notification status still says Not Supported on android and Ios but the phone now rings on the home screen when in standby on both devices.

This feature was not working as of yesterday in our environment before the SfB2015 patches.  

The android device does need to have the "Keep running in background" option ticked within the options of the Skype for Business app.

I have been working on this for weeks.  I have the latest patches installed, but I still don't get ANY notifications (phone or IM's).   I did find out that if you have IPv6 enabled, Test-CsFederatedPartner -TargetFqdn myedgeserver.network.local -Domain push.lync.com -ProxyFqdn sipfed.online.lync.com -Verbose failes.   You can't use IPv6 with push.lync.com.   It doesn't work.

However, even with IPv6 turned off, I still don't get push notifications and the Test-CsFederatedpartner then passes.

I have the same issue in my organisation. Skype for Business is patched up to the November cumulative update. Push notifications work fine on Windows phones but work for about 30 seconds on iPhones until the screen locks and they stop working. All notification settings are set correctly on the device and push is enabled server side with the correct CSHosting Provider.

I built a single server lab environment applied all patches and saw that it was working fine on iPhone. I then decided to test re-installing the web components server element to see if this was preventing the push notification from working in my prod environment. Since then my lab push notification functionality no longer works. I am struggling to find what changes have caused this. Hopefully it is something microsoft are re-introducing intentionally in the next update release cycles.

After further testing. The calls are not established once the phone has been locked and been in standby for a while on iOS and android. So back to square one.

So are we thinking it's a server side patch or a Mobile Phone App patch that would be needed?   Reason why I ask is..  If it use to work before applying updates/patches, couldn't we just roll-back to an older version on the server and it start working?

certainly doesnt work with the latest November CU and also when i remove it. Would be worth trying the June CU however I can't find it available anymore as it is included in the November CU.

I've confirmed with other iPhone users in the business that this does not work so it does appear to be server side :(

So I redid my S4B servers in a test envirionment.   I am still unable to get Push notifications working.  I didn't install ANY updates this time around.   This is what leaves me to believe that maybe it's the client side that has the issue...  But, I do have all the history updates as I save them.   With that, are you saying you think it was working in the June udpate?

I will try and update the server to June's update and see what happens.  I have a fealing it's not going to solve anything though :(

And just FYI, both Test-CsFederatedPartner and Test-CsMcxPushNotification commands are curently a success but still no push notification.

Just thought I'd update I jumped the gun a little and push notification is not working on premise on android and iOS with all the latest patches. It seemed I didn't wait long enough my phones to go on standby long enough. The mobile app for Skype for business is not fit for purpose yes on premise until this is supported.

I happen to have all updates backed up...  So I can update to any history update...

I have treid all versions of the updates (including the june 2016 one) and Push Notifications still don't work on any version.  

This appears to be a design flaw.  

This is also beeing discussed here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/1c6b5e2f-2f3c-4fe4-bb7b-318788aa1d0c/ios-push...

Ok so my iPhone received updated client version 6.11.0.301 this weekend which when looking through the release notes advised of some performance and stability improvements. Testing today on my rebuilt Skype lab push notifications appear to be working now with the November cumulative update installed on the server side.