SOLVED

Front-End Service stays in status "starting"

Copper Contributor

Good moring,

after installing the newest Windows Updates and rebooting the Skype for Business Server, the "Skype for Business Front-End" Service keeps in status "starting".

It is a virtuell Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard with 32GB RAM and 6x 3,20GHz vCPU.

I already tried "Reset-CsPoolRegistrarState -PoolFqdn "your FE Pool" -ResetType FullReset" and reinstalled Windows Fabric.

Update Skype for Business Server 2015, Core Components (KB3051958) is not installed.

I also tried "Install-CsDatabase -Update -DatabaseType Registrar".

It is the second time this happend, last time the service started after a few days. But this time it didn't start over the weekend.

Anyone got any idea how to solve this issue?

Best regards.

Urs

7 Replies

Maybe there is a Intermediate Certificate in the wrong certificate store?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2795828/lync-server-2013-front-end-service-cannot-start-in-...

Greets

Jörg

Thanks for your reply. The Certificattie State says "This certificate is OK". And the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" store only contains self-signed certificates.

Open event viewer, and find the CAPI2 store and enable logging, then try. Either the names in the cert don't match what's configured on the server or somethings else is missing. If you can't find root cause from CAPI2, please open a case and support engineer should be able to help you work through your deployment issue.

Thanks for your reply.

I found entries in the CAPI2 log with says "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value."

I requested and assigned a new certificate, but the "Front-End Service" still don't start.

I will open a MS case, now. Thank you for your help.
Ok, they will work with you to find the problem and likely need to get another certificate issued or make changes to your topology.
best response confirmed by Aaron Steele (Microsoft)
Solution
Hello everyone,

the MS Partner Support helped me out, so the service is now running normally.

We deleted all certificates in the personal store and request and assigned new ones.
We checked the Trusted Root Store – there were 4 not self-signed certificates which we moved to intermediate Store and made a restart of the server.

After that the front-end service started as usual.
Glad you were able to solve it. And yes, having non-root certificates in the root store will cause this state.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Aaron Steele (Microsoft)
Solution
Hello everyone,

the MS Partner Support helped me out, so the service is now running normally.

We deleted all certificates in the personal store and request and assigned new ones.
We checked the Trusted Root Store – there were 4 not self-signed certificates which we moved to intermediate Store and made a restart of the server.

After that the front-end service started as usual.

View solution in original post