SOLVED

Delegate cannot create Skype meetings

Iron Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I have a strange situation in my company, that a delegete cannot create meetings on behalf of the delegator. 

There are permisisons set to Editor under Outlook -> Account Settings -> Delegate Access.

Also Delegated access set under Skype for business -> Tools -> Options -> Call forwarding -> Edit my delegate members

Skype client policy under the user exists has a setting "EnableExchangeDelegateSync = True"

Delegator has signed out from Skype and signed back in to confirm the access, but when the delegate tries to create a meeting on Delegator calendar gets a message, that permissions are denied.

SkypeDelegate.PNG

Do you have any ideas what else can be missing? I have a lot of other users setup the same way and they are working as expected, except the one that I am describing here. 

Any tips and tricks what else can be done are highly welcome!

17 Replies

Hi,

what do you get when you run this in powershell on your exchange server?

Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity john@contoso.com:\Calendar -User Ayla@contoso.com

-User is the delegated users identity 

We resolved this for users at my company in two ways, both had to do with something weird happening during the exchange migration.

User 1: her msexchrecipienttypedetails ad attribute was set to 3, we compared it to other delegates and found that it should be 1. After making the change, removing and re-adding her from the delegator's skype, and restarting her Skype client, she was able to schedul Skype meetings.

2nd user: her msexch attributes were fine, so we had the skype admin clear her delegate permisssions on the server, then had the delegator re-add her. After restarting the Skype client she was able to schedule Skype meetings again.
best response confirmed by Arūnas Malūkas (Iron Contributor)
Solution

In our environment, we normally clear all the delegation permission first between the manager and delegatee to avoid any hanging process/permissions:

1. Remove the delegation from Outlook and wait for an hour to two before adding it back again.

2. Via powershell: 

Remove-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity kim@contoso.com:\Training -User john@contoso.com

and wait for an hour to two before adding it back with

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity ayla@contoso.com:\Marketing -User ed@contoso.com -AccessRights Owner

This is what I get when run PS command.

FolderName    User            AccessRights
----------         ----             ------------
Calendar         user             {Editor}

Did you manage to resolve it by removing the permission and add it back couple hours later?

Today I got an answer from the user that it started to work after I applied your proposed PS commands! In addition I also used SefaUtil.exe to remove delegate and re-add it again.
Thank you for your help :)

Today received a message, that the problem appeared again. Any ideas why the delegate keeps loosing the permissions? When I check the settings - everything is setup as it should be, this issue occurred like 3-4 times already...

In addition to resetting delegate rights I always remove the respective Outlook personal contacts for each user.  If a user's email / sip address changes in the global address book but they forget to update their personal Outlook contacts, Skype / Outlook seem to continue to use the addresses from the old contacts.  This just about always clears up any delegate issues.

We also have reports of the delegates losing access every month and it seems to coincide with our pool failover process during patch weekends. Any chance you have a patching process that moves the user or fails the pool temporarily?

Delegate sync has always been flaky for me in both organizations I've worked for as a Skype and Excchange administrator.  I don't think it's just me because I see plenty of others with the same issue.  I don't know if it's a timing thing, a bug with UCWA or something else, but just when you think you've got the combinatin of steps and timing down, you get a call from a user with a problem.  I hope eventually this gets permanently fixed so it's not so quirky.

57/5000
Hello
I am having the same problem. How did you fix it?

We did not find the solution why user is losing delegated access, but we at least managed to fix it to be working again and it's going fine since then.

The major thing that I did not pay attention previously was that both delegate and the delegator must to be online at the same time, when setting delegation.

To try to solve this delete all delegation settings that you currently have.

Exit SfB clients and delete cache from %localappdata%\microsoft\office\15.0 (or 16.0)\Lync\sip_username@domai.com
Start SfB clients again, setup delegation.

Restart delegator's Skype client.

Hope that this will work for you, otherwise I suggest contacting MS support to identify issues specific to your environment.

It seems that timing is part of the equation.  Sometimes you have to wait a couple hours before it works. 

thank you

Please follow the below steps to fix skype meeting delegation issue 

1. Ask your Delegator to open Skype for Business and log in.

DELEGATOR: Please complete steps 2 - 16.

2. In Outlook, click File > Account Settings > Delegate Access.

3.In the Delegates window, click Add.

4.In the Add Users window, type the delegate’s name in the Search field in the format Last name, First name.

5.When the delegate’s name appears in the list, click on it. Next, click Add, and then click OK.

6.In the Delegate Permissions window, click on one of the following permissions from the Calendar drop-down:

• Reviewer - delegate can read items in your folders
  • Author - delegate can read and create items, and change and delete items that they create; for example, a delegate can create meeting requests directly in your Calendar folder and then send them on your behalf.
  • Editor - delegate can do everything that an Author has permission to do and additionally can change and delete the items that you created. Note: To set up SfB meetings, a delegate must be either an Author or Editor. 
  1. Below the Calendar drop-down, the Delegate receives copies of meeting-related messages sent to me check box is automatically selected. If you do not want the delegate to receive these messages, click the check box to clear it. 
  1. Your delegate automatically has “Editor” rights to your Tasks. To change this setting, select a different option from the drop-down. 
  1. Your delegate does not automatically have rights to your Inbox, Contacts, or Notes. To grant rights, select options from their respective drop-downs. 
  1. If you want your delegate to receive an email about their permissions as your delegate, click the Automatically send a message to delegate summarizing these permissions check box.
  2. If you want your delegate to be able to view your Outlook items marked as private, click the Delegate can see my private items check box.
  3. Click OK.
  4. When the Delegates window reappears, click OK.
  5. In the Skype client window, click the arrow next to the Options button, click File, and then click Sign Out
  1. In the Skype client window, click the arrow next to the Options button, click File, and then click Exit
  1. From your Windows Start menu, select Skype for Business 2016
  1. DELEGATE: From your workstation, perform the actions in steps 14, 15, and 16.

Delegator View

When a delegate’s rights become effective, the Delegator will see their name(s) under the Delegates section of the Skype for Business client window.

Delegate View

When a delegate’s rights become effective, the Delegate will see a yellow banner at the top of the Skype for Business client window, as well as the name of the person they are a delegate for under the People I Manage Calls For section. 

Admin try to create Skype for Business meeting on behalf of boss still get a below error message follow below steps

1. On both machines, check if MAPI Status OKAY in Configuration Information (Right click + CTRL on SfB Icon in System Tray) 

1. If it says initializing, wait until STATUS OKAY. If the status not showing ok then recreate new outlook profile and check 
  1. If not working.
  2. On Boss side Remove or delete delegate name from skype for business then follow step 14 and 15
  3. On the Boss side, delete local skype cache from below path, Run or Search Command Enter

%localAppData%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync

1. Take a backup of registry then delete Lync folder from registry.
  2. Type exe on RUN command or search
  3. File à Export (Backup)

1. Go to Computer\Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ and delete the Lync folder

Hi,

We are still facing same issue. It was working earlier but suddenly it has stopped working. Tried to set the delegation permission as mentioned above but no luck.

Please suggest if there is any permanent fix ?

@bobson lawrence That's quite a thorough process.  Whoever designed this process and these timing dependencies when developing the Skype for Business client mustn't have had much forethought.  Aye aye aye...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Arūnas Malūkas (Iron Contributor)
Solution

In our environment, we normally clear all the delegation permission first between the manager and delegatee to avoid any hanging process/permissions:

1. Remove the delegation from Outlook and wait for an hour to two before adding it back again.

2. Via powershell: 

Remove-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity kim@contoso.com:\Training -User john@contoso.com

and wait for an hour to two before adding it back with

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity ayla@contoso.com:\Marketing -User ed@contoso.com -AccessRights Owner

View solution in original post