Can't access Skype for business with my laptop

Copper Contributor

My school has an Office 365 account and I am having problems logging into Skype for business. I can acces it on my iPad and iPhone, but not my laptop.  It can't find the server for our school--but it can find it on my iPad???

5 Replies
That's definitely odd. It could be that the client you have on your laptop is out of date & is getting blocked for signing in. If your school is using Office 365 then both the iPad & laptop are essentially both connecting to Office 365. There are configuration choices that your school can make to restrict access, but generally folks do it in the opposite way - restrict the mobile device & allow the laptop.

May not be your issue, but worth adding: We had this issue with a user who had paired his company email address with a Microsoft Account (MA). Unfortunately he kept selecting sign in with his MA and would be denied. Once he created an alias and removed his company email address from the MA, then he had no problem connecting to links that first opened in the web portal.

I think that is the problem. I have two personal Microsoft acounts and one of them has the same email as my school ( I have disabled that one.)  How can I go about doing what you said?

Clipped from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11545/microsoft-account-rename-your-personal-account

To rename your personal Microsoft account, follow the steps below:

1. Sign in to the Your Info page of your Microsoft account.
    2. Select Manage your sign-in email or phone number.
    3. Look under the Account aliases section.
      • If you already have a personal email address listed there, you can skip this step.
      • If your work or school email address is the only one listed, enter your personal email address or get a new one from Microsoft, and select Add alias.
    4. If your personal email address does not have (primary alias) listed next to it, select Make primary to set it as your primary alias.
    5. Select Remove next to your work email address to remove it from your account.

Going forward, you’ll sign in to your personal Microsoft account with your personal email address. You might need to sign in again to some apps and Windows devices. 

Let me know if this answers your question, there are a couple of other issues it might be (e.g., You can't connect to Skype for Business Online, or certain features don't work, because an on-premis...).

I cannot believe this was the solution after such a long time!!! it worked...I am surprised it actually worked! Thank you Scott