Call Queue Answer Delays

Brass Contributor

It takes anywhere from 3-5 seconds when answering a call from a Call Queue to be able to speak, is there anything being done to shorten this time?

In testing we have seen that Polycom handsets take the longest, and USB headsets are usually the shortest, but it is still a significant amount of time.

9 Replies

My users are very frustrated with this delay.  Please publish a fix for this.

In the On-Prem world, this is typically caused by signalling latency. I'd imagine that there's signifantly more signalling required to pin up a queued call over a p2p call.

1. I'd check that your route to the internet is as short as possible

2. Are your call queue agents in the same region as your o365 datacenter?

1.  Route to internet is as short as possible.

2.  Agents are in the same region as the the O365 datacenter.

Still a significant delay.   If our agent starts speaking as soon as she answers the phone, the caller misses the first few words.

In the past we've educated our agents to wait until they see the call timer at the top of the call window before they start speaking.

When you see the timer start, you know that the call is pinned up and audio is flowing both ways.

Interesting workaround, but I'm not sure if this is a solution to the problem.  We are having the same issue with multiple tenants.

We are seeing the 3-4 second delay as well and it seems to be attributed to the auto attendant delivering the call to a ring group.  We have instructed the users to wait until the Skype client indicates that it is "connected", but this causes delays in answering calls, customers get frustrated waiting for someone to answer and the experience is very frustrating for all involved.  We are able to recreate this in a test tenant very easily.  We are being told that MS has not been able to find the root cause of this, but that seems very strange given the ease of reproducing the issue.  I am wondering if anyone has configured a system with an auto attendant that is not experiencing this delay.  If so, can we get a sample attendant configuration to mimic and see if the problem is resolved?

Hey Tom, 

I'm curious if you have the 50,000 port range open in your environment for Skype for Business? Microsoft recently made these ports "Optional" in Skype online but they do speed up call pin-up.

Brandon Long

Modality Systems 

I think we have two of the same threads going on here.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-Users/Delays-when-trying-to-answer-an-inco...

in the above link you can see where I actually received an answer from MS on this issue to confirm they are aware of this know issue and currently do not have a workaround for it.  You might be able to resolve it though with using hunt groups, but that would "waste" a license it looks like for each call queue.

Same issue being experienced here.

Would be good to get everyone voting in the same post on SkypeFeedBack. I've noticed multiple posts for the same issue. I've just voted here:

https://www.skypefeedback.com/forums/299913-generally-available/suggestions/19252153-reduce-the-8-10...

For what it's worth i'm going to create a support request. Has anyone seen any recent updates/feedback from MS on this issue?