SOLVED

mail to link in sharepoint online

Brass Contributor

Good Day

We had business users trying to add in their communication sites in the navigation menu (so it shows up in the mega menu) a URL link that is actually a link to an email address.  It is the standard mailto:xxxxx@domain.com link.  It looks though this is not a supported format/link type that we can use within the navigation of the communication site.  We tried also leveraging the footer as it would be a good place to display the email address of who to reach out/contact with questions but we had the same unsuccessful experience as with the mega menu.  Does someone know if this adding a mailto link to the navigation is really unsupported and if so what other options do we have (other than creating a page with a text web part where we can add the mailto link).  Thanks!

6 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Yeah they really need to add support for other links. In the meantime thou use a url shortener like bit.ly or tiny url. I wrote a blog awhile back about this very thing : https://webbtech365.blogspot.com/2018/11/use-mailto-and-other-link-types-with.html?m=1

@Chris Webb  Thank you so much!

@Chris Webb this link on your blog page takes you to an arabic page or something. Do you have an english site?

@SivuM 

Try this link: Use mailto: and other link types with the Quick Links Modern Web Part 

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

Guess that link service got hacked or no longer in service. Guess I’ll update my blog. What links are your trying to use. I think the quick links support mailto: now. But not calling links.
I have updated my blog page. Thanks for pointing it out. Not sure why happen with the URL to tinyurl. Also mailto: links are now supported in sharepoint so no need to shorten those, but other types for chat / sip calling etc. can still use a URL shortener to use links inside of SharePoint.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Yeah they really need to add support for other links. In the meantime thou use a url shortener like bit.ly or tiny url. I wrote a blog awhile back about this very thing : https://webbtech365.blogspot.com/2018/11/use-mailto-and-other-link-types-with.html?m=1

View solution in original post