hardware Config two-tier farm SharePoint 2013 in a Production Use

Deleted
Not applicable

If i consider a hardware config for a two-tier SharePoint 2013 Farm (For production use):

SharePoint Server:

RAM: 12 GB

C:\ : 80GB (system drive)

D:\ : 60GB (SharePoint log files)

SQL Server:

RAM: 8 GB

C:\ 80 GB (system drive)

Is it enough for system availability in the future?

(i have already read MS minimum recommendations but i wanted to be sure that my config won't affect my system availability in the future) 

6 Replies

I don't think anyone here can give you the assurances you might be after. We don't know your environment, requirements or other mitigating factors.   I can say, personally, I am not a fan of those 80GB system drives, I see it listed on the official specs, so it could be more a personal preference.  If I was setting these up though, I'd look at more like 120 GB system drives.  The underlying storage system, RAID configuration etc. may be just important anyway.  Either way, the specs look ok, but we can't say how they will hold up!

And by the way you need to also think about other key aspects when deploying your farm such as the number of users accessing, what are the main scenarios of SharePoint usage (document collaboration, search, etc). I recommend you to take a look to Microsoft documentation about SharePoint farm recommended architectures

As far as memory goes, 12 GB is probably not going to cut it - especially because you only have a single server in your farm. I would at least double that to 24 GB, also for the SQL Server.

You also want to have at least one additional drive in your SQL Server for data and logs. Having those on the C drive is not a good idea.

How many users? what is the purpose of the farm? what type of features will the users be using? all of these questions will impact the specs.

Since you are planning for the future, why are you using 2013 instead of 2016?

Well it's a project with a client who already have bought a licence for SharePoint Server 2013.

As for the number of users = 21 and they only want to take advantages of document collaboration features.

You definetly need another drive for data on the SQL server.

have you seen https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/ff758657.aspx

Since they are collaborating, you may also want another server for Office Web Apps.

Will they need Workflows, if so, you may also need another server for Workflow Manager.