add custom content type, but the default options Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote

Bronze Contributor

Hi, is there any way to add a custom content type, but keep the default options for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote?

New doc libraries have these options, which are coming from the default content type (=document) and some default scripting I believe?

Image 127.png

but as soon as I add my custom content type (e.g. E-Mail) without the deleting the document content type, the options look like this:

Image 126.png

Of course I'd like to keep the standard options, since we never know what additions (link Link) Microsoft will add in the future.

Also, the custom Word icons do not looks as good the the default ones :p

3 Replies

AFAIK, the answer is no. The default appears when no custom content types are added

Not the answer I was hoping for :p though I was expecting it.

I will experiment with custom word, excel and powerpoint content types, and upload a default template file. I've just hit a brick wall when creating a custom content type (in an Office 365 Group) and trying to upload a template > Access Denied :)

I'll try workaround this by doing through the content type hub. 

In the meantime I've managed to create a workaround for my specific use-case, which is uploading emails (.msg) through the harmon.ie Outlook addin and automatically mapping this file and it's metadata to a custom E-Mail content type. I've just learned, that I can add my E-Mail content type, but hide it manually.

This way harmon.ie can upload all the metadata and use the content type, but the document library UI still shows the default exprience. 

SideNote: by doing this I'm suddenly able to add Excel Surveys as well, which wasn't there before.

:-)...agree with Pieter and this has been in this way with the classic UI too