Yellow line indicator on left side of modern list items?

Steel Contributor

Not sure what the yellow lines mean. New item?

12 Replies
Do you mean like little eye lashes? They match the colour if the site and indicate that a document has been created recently.
No, but those were interesting. It is actually on the very left of row. The row's left border. It is seen in the image. I do think it follows the color of the theme.
Mmm...not seeing that line on a modern list in my test tenant

Sorry I missed that attachment. Yes I've noticed those before. They don't mean that they are new documents. It simply means that they have outstanding mandatory properties to fill in. Imagine that your required properties aren't in your view, then it wouldn't be obvious that anything was missing.

Here is an example:

Attention View.PNG

I have actually seen that in document libraries. I like it! Looks like they're using their own JSON.

However, I also see it on my lists. That is what I have above. I have created a list, then created a view showing fewer columns and filtered. On the main list the items don't have this, but on the view they do.

Is it saying..."You're not showing all required data"?? Which would be odd.

New screen shot showing the same list items. All items view doesn't show it, view does.

If the required fields aren't on the view you wouldn't get the required info yellow blocks to then make it still obvious that there is missing data the yellow lines appear. To make things consistent the yellow lines also appear when the required columns are in the view

The scenario:

1. I'm looking at an all items view in a modern list.  No yellow line.

2. I remove a required field from the view and save it

3. Yellow line next to whole list

Does this make sense?  I get it if there are missing values.  Like if you add a required field later and there are records still missing values for that field...  But I don't like this behavior if a view is simply not showing the required field . In this case, I'm displaying a calculated field in its place which is derived from the required field.

Hope this makes sense.  Any ideas?

Agreed - I don't understand the logic of showing the Yellow line when the field is missing from the view, but it has been populated?

The yellow line simply means there is a required field that hasn't been filled in on the document with the yellow line. If this required field is shown in the view is not relevant.

Hi

I have found that the yellow bar can also show if you have a content type with mandatory fields, that do not appear in the view, regardless of whether they have data, for example switching to the "Files that need attention" view doesn't show anything but normal views have the yellow bar beside items.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any references to whether this is a bug or expected behaviour. Any ideas?

Paul Bullock

That tracks with what I see too. Good catch. Thanks!