Where does Blog site stands within the flat modern sites structure of SharePoint online?

Brass Contributor

I have a question regarding the 'Blog' site. 

Into my opinion, it still has as basis a 'classic' site experience.

In the case of setting up a SharePoint environment within the philosophy of a flat structure (site collections) of modern sites, where can I place 'Blog'? This means having blog posts, comments as SharePoint lists so different metadata can be attributed and be showed as a  customized Web Part into a SharePoint page.

Is this subject already treated? (I couldn't find any resources, but please give some referral in case this discussion already exists), or which suggestion can you offer?

Your help is very much appreciated,

regards,

Hilde

9 Replies

I would love to hear a response from Microsoft on this as well.  They are pushing the flat architecture with no sub-sites, but I feel that there is so much lacking in this design.  I use Blog sites for my FAQ's and would love to move them to a modern site if one was available.

-Rick

There's kind of a new blog section in Delve - do you have the Graph API enabled and use Delve? If you go to Delve, the 'me' page, way down on the bottom is a place to start your personal blogs. I haven't really used it, because I thought it was kind of hidden away. It shows on a person's Delve page, but it doesn't show on a person's card, even the expanded one. Not sure how it would surface in any activity.

Thanks Robin, but this won't work at all.  The modern pages have less functionality that the old "Classic" pages and then these blog pages have even fewer still.  I need a Blog site with categories that can be assigned to a post so that users can find solutions to their problems without needing to call IT.  These Blog pages are designed for personal thoughts, which have no place in a corporate world.

Have you considered just using the news article infrastructure? I think the distinction between 'news' and 'blogs' in most people's minds is probably less clear-cut than you're thinking.

I would recommend using Pages and added category tags. This article may help with the options for metadata. 

Thanks @Deleted, that looks like a solution I can live with.  Although the build out is much slower, I suspect the end result will be worth the effort.    

Thanks for your response. And I appreciate the suggestion. This is OK for sharing news, and you're right the SharePoint pages do include now more flexibility in attributing some metadata.
Still, I need other functionalities : e.g. giving comments (and No, the comments section at the end of a SharePoint news page do not fit because this only notifies the creator of the SP page. Other persons can't take an alert). Also, having a SharePoint list of Blog posts was easy to consult all blog posts. The SP news pages are mixed up with 'normal' pages within site contents.  

Hi @Hilde Depauw, I think your use case would be common with people familiar to posting comments on blogs. Would this solution using Flow work for you? It's a bit clunky but might be an option to have notifications sent to a controlled audience. 

Alternatively the Yammer web part? I'm not familiar with the functionality and comments here seem to suggest its might be suitable for blog comments either. 

I need either a modern blog site or a modern page web part for a proper blog. For now, I'm stuck with a classic blog site (see attached). It works, but it negates the modern experience look-and-feel for users.