SOLVED

Verification setting for external share links?

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to find settings that control account verification with the newest Team/Group style Sharepoint sites in Office365. Right now when I share a file with "only the people you specify" it requires the external user to input a new verification code literally every single time they access the file. This is more than a little annoying.

All I've been able to find for documentation is this blog post that claims there's a setting to control this behavior in the Sharing section of Sharepoint Admin Center. When I go into Sharepoint Admin Center it does not actually have any such setting. Where can I find setting(s) to dial this functionality back to a more reasonable periodic re-verification?

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Andy Theuninck (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I have the setting it's right in the additional Settings section, once you check the box it allows you to enter days on the : Require recipients to continually prove account ownership when they access shared items setting.
Ah, sorry, I missed it. The Days box doesn't appear unless the option is checked. Leaving it unchecked seems as if it still requires continual proof of account ownership. I was hoping I could set it "verify once and never re-verify" but that doesn't appear possible so I guess I'm back to trying to figure out how to re-enable anonymous sharing on the new-style sites.

They have a checkbox to not prompt for code again when they input the code, this puts a 30 day cookie on the machine or whatever.

As for anonymous sharing on Group sites, you have to download SharePoint Online Managment shell.

connect-sposervice
tenant URL so tenant-admin.sharepoint.com don't forget -admin
get your group site URL and use it for this command:
Set-SPOSite "url" -SharingCapability ExternalUserAndGuestSharing

That will turn on Guest sharing on Group connected sites.

Ah, OK. From a usability standpoint it'd be great if one of the four existing UIs for managing external sharing somehow steered users to this information. Or I suppose the different UIs claiming to manage permissions for Sharepoint sites could simply work for all flavors of sites.

Hi @Andy Theuninck,

Totally understand your frustration here. The new SharePoint Admin Center will help unify settings for both classic team sites and modern team sites which should make this easier. 

If you have any other questions around the new external sharing controls, feel free to let me know as well. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

The SharePoint Online Team site (O365 groups) external link share does not have an option to allow that:

"They have a checkbox to not prompt for code again when they input the code, this puts a 30 day cookie on the machine or whatever."

Verification is 15 minute but it is actually longer. Accessing the link 24 hours later will give the recipient a co-relation error and it didn't prompt to enter the email address. The recipient has to clear the browser cache. Some recipients do not know how to clear browser cache.

@Stephen Rice 

Hello, unfortunately the configuration of the options below, the request for a verification code comes every time I share a file

Require recipients to continually prove account ownership when they access shared set for 15 days

Hi @_Przemek_,

Is the recipient using the same browser session? This is all done via cookie auth so possible that the browser is wiping the user state away if it gets closed. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andy Theuninck (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I have the setting it's right in the additional Settings section, once you check the box it allows you to enter days on the : Require recipients to continually prove account ownership when they access shared items setting.

View solution in original post