Verification not working for folders, only for documents

Brass Contributor

Hi All, 

We have enabled the verification code option for sharing externally. According to mircosoft this should work when sharing a document or folder, however, when we share a folder and the external user enters their verification code, they are met with the following error message: 

Access Denied

xxxxx@gmail.com does not have permissions to access this resource.

This is not the case when sharing a document. In that case, the external user enters the verification code and can access the document without a problem. If they are then given access to the folder, they are still meet with the access denied message. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Liana

4 Replies
works fine for me. no idea's other than make sure you are testing and the user is using an inprivate browser and not an already logged in Office 365 account in browser cache, that could be throwing it off.

I found the same results with a test account and made sure to clear the cache and to be logged off of O365. I think the issue might be related to sharing folders generally and not tied to the verification code process. The only documentation that I could find related to this was to disable limited-access permissions at the collection, which in our case is already disabled: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3039997/users-can-t-access-a-shared-folder-in-sharepoint-on....

Only thing it "might" be, check Site Permissions > Advanced settings > Access Request settings. and check if the first 2 boxes there are checked or not?

Thanks! I think the issue is actually that the limited-access permission lockdown is activated. I was looking in the wrong place for this setting. I'll have to go back to our team and see what the implications are for deactivating. 

Thanks!

Liana