Update to forms in Modern Lists, including custom forms with PowerApps - coming soon!

Microsoft

We are excited to tell you that we are updating how forms in SharePoint modern lists and libraries are displayed, and you will also soon be able to create custom forms using Microsoft PowerApps for SharePoint lists.

We used to navigate to a new page whenever the new, edit or view form was displayed for a modern list. We are moving these forms into a panel that appears on the right hand side of the page (left hand side for right to left languages). This change makes for a much quicker experience for adding new items, as well as viewing and changing existing items in your list. You can still get a link to an item (or the new item form) by using the "Copy link" button that's been added to the panel.

Forms Panel for Modern ListsForms Panel for Modern Lists

The updates to panels will be coming to all of the First Release users and tenants within the next two weeks.

We are also very happy to announce that the ability to customize forms for modern lists using PowerApps will be coming to our First Release tenants. This capability was announced at Ignite 2017 and was mentioned in an earlier blog post around reinventing business processes. Please see that blog post for more details.

Differently from the panels, custom forms with PowerApps will be available for First Release tenants (not users), since once a custom form is set for a list, it will take effect for all users in that tenant that use that list.

54 Replies

@Jordan Burns, we identified an issue where a performance optimization causes your custom forms to not launch if you happen to try to open the forms soon after a page loads. If you wait for a few seconds without clicking anything, and then click they should still open fine. 

We have a fix in the works, and will try to get it out as soon as we can, sorry about the inconvenience this caused. 

I have noticed that the new form does not have standard automatically generated metadata, such as Created by, Created [time], Version, Changed By, Change [time].  IS there a way to bring them back to the form?  When I open it via PowerApps customization it says that they are visible but I do not see them on the form.

Thanks. 

Hi @Andrey Kiselev, these fields are automatically filled out by the system when an item is created or modified. So even if you have these on the form, they will appear as empty in the new form, since the values are not yet known. If you are seeing them in PowerApps studio, but they don't appear on the form in SharePoint, they may be below the fold depending on your screen resolution and the number of fields you have. Sometimes it is not apparent with the current design that there are more fields to show and you have to know to scroll down the field. Maybe that's the case? 

Please send me a private message with screenshots if you are seeing an issue, and we can dig into it and figure it out. 

The Power App form is great but I'm getting a small issue. When I customize the New form of the list I cant add Attachment field, it's limited to Edit and Display mode only and yet in edit mode there is no way the attachment can be edited it simply downloads the attachment file. Could you guide me in adding the Attachment field to the New form of any Generic List.

Hi @Ashwin Kheta

as stated in a previous reply to me by @Kerem Yuceturk they are working on it.

Hi @Jordan Burns, the fix for the form failing to open issue is rolled out to all customers as of Wednesday morning (pacific time). Please refresh your pages and let us know if you are still seeing the issue. Thank you for your patience while we fixed the issue.

Hi @Marco Mangiante@Ashwin Kheta, sorry I got my answers crossed just earlier. :)

The attachment write feature is under development, sorry to keep you waiting for it, we really want to complete it as soon as possible too. Our best guess is February 2018 at the moment. 

@Kerem Yuceturk wrote:

Hi @Reza Dorrani, thank you for noticing. We are at 50% of First Release tenants at the moment, and we will get to 100% of First Release tenants tomorrow.

Unfortunately the SharePoint mobile app does not yet support custom forms. This is something we are working on, and hope to make it available in a later release.

Kerem, 

You also responded to another person in this thread about getting an estimate "next week" when SharePoint Mobile App would support SharePoint custom forms using PowerApps. I don't see this on the Office 365 roadmap. Can you provide an update. 

Hi Kerem, I have been working with the customise forms as we try and begin to migrate away from InfoPath. I have to say that I am impressed with the way it is heading and there is quite a bit of flexibility with having the full powerapps functionality. One thing, is there a plan to enable the lists to be saved as a template which include the powerapps form, or some other way of re-using the powerapps form with a list? Currently if you save the list as a template when it is used again the form goes to default, meaning one has to build the entire app again which is a bit of a show stopper for us!! Thanks, Jack

Hi Jack!

You definitely should take a look at Plumsail Forms. This tool allows you to design forms for modern lists and libraries, it supports all SharePoint fields for both reading and writing and since it saves each form as a separate modern page, they can be easily transferred within a site template.

Hi Jack!

You definitely should take a look at Plumsail Forms. This tool allows you to design forms for modern lists and libraries, it supports all SharePoint fields for both reading and writing and since it saves each form as a separate modern page, they can be easily transferred within a site template.

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but not having much luck finding additional info on this.

We've done some PowerApps forms for some of our lists, and are very happy with the results.

Everything works really well on desktop, which is still the majority of the users for the cases we picked so far.

We are however now working on a couple of forms, where the mobile view is just as important as the desktop, and are finding that the SharePoint mobile form reverts to the default form, and completely ignores any customization done with PowerApps!

Are we missing a setting somewhere, or is there any way to control a list's edit item forms on mobile?

Hi,

Unfortunately the PowerApps list form customization are not available on the Mobile App

This is a work in progress by the PowerApps team

Here is a link to more details on the list for customization

Check the Q&A section :-

Q: When should I customize a form to manage data in a SharePoint list, and when should I create a standalone app?

A: Customize a form if you want your users to manage data without leaving SharePoint (for example, in a desktop browser). Create an app if you want your users to manage data outside of SharePoint (for example, on a mobile device).

I tested myself and it works for me on my Android Huawei P9 Lite using Chrome web browser? When I'm in the list and select New/View/Edit I can see PowerApps form. I don't know where do you want to use from customization?

But I have noticed that hamburger navigation is not working correctly. When I navigate to one of my lists it works OK but then after when I press Hamburger navigation it shows the navigation for a glimps and hides immediately.

And if that is not all...Yesterday I noticed that if I have multiple lists with PowerApps Form enabled it shows only the first Form I opened. So if I navigate to "List1" and open one of the items it displayes OK. Then If i navigate to another list (let say "List2") and try to open PowerApp Form it displayes the previous Form (from List1).

I posted this yesterday on PowerApps forums https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/SharePoint-list-form-not-showing-correct-Powe...

I was referring to the SharePoint Mobile App
The PowerApps list form customization does not show up there