Unknown Error Uploading PDF (with and without Migration Tool) [Workaround]

Bronze Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble understanding this error and wanted to know if anybody knows how to find out what is going here. I was able to workaround it though.

I uploaded about 40GB with the SPO Migration Tool and received errors on 3 PDF files.

The error according to the MigTool is: Scan File Failure:Path contains invalid charaters

Neither the filename nor the path contains any invalid characters. There are multiple other files in the same subfolder (and below) that uploaded just fine. I've tried everything I could think of:

• Rename the file to a lot of other names
  • Change the file extension
  • Print the PDF as a PDF in an image format
  • Upload the PDF directly to root in multiple filenames
  • ZIP (.zip and .7z) the file and upload it again (this worked for 2 out of 3 files)
  • Upload the file to another Office 365 Group SharePoint Location (error persists)
  • When I upload it through the SharePoint UI the upload stops mid-transfer with a generic error/please try again. 

For the last file I had to use multiple hoops to get it to the right location:

• Copy the file to my Desktop (automatically backed up by OneDrive) with the original filename
  • Use the OneDrive Web UI to copy it to another Office 365 Group that my upload service account had access to
  • Copy the File from Group to Group finally worked - with the exact same original file that could not be uploaded a hundred times before ...

Anybody want to pitch in with some ideas?

0 Replies