SOLVED

Unable to edit or download embedded spreadsheet

Copper Contributor

I have embedded a spreadsheet from OneDrive for Business into my company's Office 365 Sharepoint site (private group). None of the buttons at the bottom in the black stripe work, in fact the 4 on the right aren't even clickable. See below:Capture.PNG

This feels like a bug. It was embedded using the "File viewer", and then selecting a shared file from the OneDrive.Capture2.PNG

I can click around in the sheet, but I can't edit anything. I am the owner of the sheet. I should be able to edit via the edit button on the lower left (it just pops up a new O365 homepage) or click the download button on the lower right, right?

Suggestions? Thoughts?

2 Replies

This is absolutely a bug, and not one that has always existed. My organization relies on embedded spreadsheets for our website for over a year, and only today did we notice buttons there have stopped working--I would go so far as to guess that this is a widespread issue, as I couldn't get the buttons to work whether I was using my organization's files or my own from a personal OneDrive account. I've put in a ticket describing these symptoms--I would recommend doing the same, that usually gets us faster resolutions.

best response confirmed by David Leveille (Steel Contributor)
Solution

In your modern sharepoint site, you have added the "File viewer" SPFx web part. From this web part, you have pointed it to one of the ~270 supported file formats, Excel. 

What was announced at Ignite 2017:

Spoiler
Build richer, more dynamic pages with new web parts. Your pages can include rich, dynamic content from across Office 365, now including Planner and Microsoft Forms. There’s a new file viewer web part that can display previews of over 270 file types. You can embed content from anywhere—including Twitter feeds, YouTube videos and Amazon book recommendations. And you can surface content from more than 100 cloud and on-premises sources using the connector web part.

I haven't played with it yet. So that I understand, although the *file viewer* is allowing you to view the excel workbook, you expect the workbook to be *editable*?

Is that the case when you use other formats, like PDF or Word or any of the other supported formats?

Did you try this with any other workbooks - perhaps one with just a single worksheet?

I will test this over the weekend myself.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Leveille (Steel Contributor)
Solution

In your modern sharepoint site, you have added the "File viewer" SPFx web part. From this web part, you have pointed it to one of the ~270 supported file formats, Excel. 

What was announced at Ignite 2017:

Spoiler
Build richer, more dynamic pages with new web parts. Your pages can include rich, dynamic content from across Office 365, now including Planner and Microsoft Forms. There’s a new file viewer web part that can display previews of over 270 file types. You can embed content from anywhere—including Twitter feeds, YouTube videos and Amazon book recommendations. And you can surface content from more than 100 cloud and on-premises sources using the connector web part.

I haven't played with it yet. So that I understand, although the *file viewer* is allowing you to view the excel workbook, you expect the workbook to be *editable*?

Is that the case when you use other formats, like PDF or Word or any of the other supported formats?

Did you try this with any other workbooks - perhaps one with just a single worksheet?

I will test this over the weekend myself.

View solution in original post