Transition to Office Groups

Deleted
Not applicable

We're a relatively new adopter of SharePoint. However, at the time we got setup with SharePoint Online we weren't sure that Office Groups was the right way to go for our collaboration requirements. 

Fast forward 12 months to where we are now and the adoption is increasing and people are finding more use from the various other Office 365 services such as planner and teams, etc. 

It was always a bit of a grey area of confusion as to which we should use - SharePoint Team Sites or Office Groups.

We currently house all our team sites in the "root" site collection, so we can't convert them to Office Groups as I understand that is done at a site collection level.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts and recommendations on what we should be considering as we look to drive further adoption of the collaboration tools in Office 365. We're also looking to get started on a new phase with SharePoint where we look at improving records management, workflow, external sharing with partners and to develop an intranet site. I'm also keen to start driving adoption to Teams.

Should we strongly consider migrating or transitioning sites to office 365 groups?

How have you approached the SharePoint vs. Office Groups conundrum? 

It'd be great if anyone had some time to have a chat on Skype or a call if you wanted to share experiences.

1 Reply
My advice here is to move, if possible, from your current approach based on creating subsites in the root site collection to an approach where each subsite is promoted to a site collection so you can have a Group (or not) tied to the site collection and even a Team. This "Flat pattern" structure is the one recommended Today by Microsoft and it will also benefit you from having latest staff released by Microsoft in your Teams sites