Term store editor

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Is there a decent user friendly SharePoint term store editor? I want to delegate management of some terms to users but the term store admin page is clunky.

Thanks

6 Replies
No, it's not...the terms store managament has not been changed for a long time and I don't think it's going to change soon

Is it more a case that your users don't like the existing way of editing terms in the term store or are you interested in ways that you can carve up the responsibility of maintaining them?

I want to give the responsibility of maintaining some term groups. Is there a better third party editor tool that can be used rather than the SP admin Term Store?

If your terms don't need to exist at a global level, you can create the terms at site collection level and then the management of those terms becomes the responsibility of the site collection owners.

Alternatively in the Global Termstore you can assign managers and contributors to the term groups so that you can delegate access in that way.

Term-Management.PNGIn terms of tools, I've never had a problem with the out-of-the-box offering, so apologies I'm unable to make any recommendations there.

Thanks Matt, yes I do want to assign managers to term group at the global level. This is well & good however the interface is clunky and not user friendly. My query is if anyone have come across a third-party tool with a much user friendly UI so that term group managers ( these are end users and not technical) can manage the term groups for which they are responsible for. For instance, a HR assistant should be able to manager the list of departments, or someone from the products team should be able to manager the list of products in the Products group. I do not want them to manage via the SharePoint Term Store Admin page.

If you have any dev skills then you could always create a PowerApp which uses a custom connector to connect to an API. However, because there isn't a REST API which allows interaction with the Term Store, you'll need to crack some code to write your own API.