Teams SharePoint app no access to Lists

Copper Contributor

In a number of teams, users in our organisation are using SharePoint Lists on a 'website' Teams tab.

However, I'm aware that there is a Teams app for SharePoint, that should allow using a list on a tab without additional authentication and avoiding the 'chrome' that comes with using a list as a website.

The problem is that lists I create in SharePoint for my Teams don't show up in the app. The app loads and allows me to select either 'Pages' or 'Lists', but under 'Lists' it will say "No lists on this site", even though there are multiple and all of them have 'public' views (which I assumed may be a requirement).

Should I change something else about my lists in SharePoint for them to become visible to the SharePoint Teams app? Publish them in some way, or change access restrictions I'm not aware of?

8 Replies
Note: I created the list through the SharePoint web interface, as part of the Team's site and when listing 'Site contents' on Sharepoint, the list does show up in the web interface, which is why I'm confused about the Teams app error message.
I forget what causes this but I think the custom list don’t give options.

You have two options here. Create a page and put a list web part in the page. Then add that page as a tab.

Or you can still use the website tab just add ?isdlg=1 and it will get rid of excess chrome. Might be &dlg=1 but I use it for calendar in teams.

Just some work around ideas.

@Chris Webb thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look into creating a 'Page', although it seems to defeat the purpose of having 'Lists' in the app interface to begin with. Are you suggesting there are other types of list (i.e. not "custom") that *would* show up in there? Do you have examples? Perhaps I can make my list show up as that kind of list somehow?

I tried your suggestion to add `?isdlg=1`, but that doesn't just get rid of the chrome in terms of controls I don't want, but it also strips a lot of the styling of the list itself and still exposes many of the editing controls, making the page very awkward and impractical to use, so that's not an improvement, sadly.

I suppose the main question remains: why doesn't the Teams SharePoint app show custom lists?

Well I see all the lists and custom lists in my SharePoint app(tab). Are you in a GCC tenant or anything that may not have the updated app yet?

Dropped in here as I'm experiencing the same issue.

New list created within the SharePoint site (auto created by creating a new team space in Teams). Trying to add the SharePoint app as a tab to a channel and it's not displaying the list that I created.
What list type? Pretty sure it only shows custom lists or a select number of list templates.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

I'm thinking there's an issue as I used Excel to export to SharePoint as I was migrating an existing list from one Team space to another.

The list appears as a choice within the app if I create a new list from within the SharePoint site using the standard new page wizard but it doesn't appear to work if I add via export from Excel.

My exact workflow was export list to Excel from the list in the original SharePoint site and then exported it back in to the new site. Somehow in this process something is triggered to not enable the new list to be picked up by the SharePoint app in Teams.

@aexley I can confirm what you suspected. Unless you create a list from the Wizard (kind of manually), the list will not appear as selectable in the Teams site. It is not a big deal unless you have hundreds of columns to create by hand. Data you may already have in your Excel workbook can be copy-pasted easily with the QuickEdit option in the list itself.

Thanks for giving that hint.