Site Collection Admin Approval of Sharing

Brass Contributor

Please feel free to tell me that I'm going mad or I've dreamt it, but was there previously an option in SharePoint online to include an admin approval of any sharing requests going out for a given site? I'm so sure it was there, but now I can't find it! Alternatively I've been working too hard and I'm now dreaming about SharePoint.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

10 Replies

Thanks for your reply Salvatore.

I think it may have been my interpretation of this page that has made me question the configuration options here. If I uncheck both "Allow members to invite others to the site members group" AND "Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders", do you believe the expected behaviour is for members to still share, but for a notification be sent to the Team Site Owners that something has been shared?

When you uncheck "Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders", also "Allow members to invite others to the site members group" will be automatically unchecked.

In such case, members will not be able to share at all.

If "Allow access requests" is checked, access requests will still be generated when someone requests to access the site resources without having permissions.

Ok so that's my expectation. The scenario that I have at the moment is that I want a member to share content with an external user (which can be done by checking the box), however I want the admin/owner to approve that before it goes.

Now I'm sure that this used to be an option, or am I completely wrong?

I don't think so...

Adding @Stephen Rice

That should work. If the "Members Can Share" features are disabled and "Access Requests" are enabled, all sharing actions by members will send a notice to the site owners to approve/decline the request. Are those mails not getting generated?

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

By default anyone who has contribute access or above can share without approval but access request settings can be adjusted so that external share needs to be approved before sharing. 

Thanks for that, so I'm not going mad.

Where's the option for that gone?

As Stephen Rice has suggested

• Go to Settings > Site Settings.
  • Under Users and Permissions, click Site Permissions.
  • On the Permissions tab, click Access Request Settings.
  • In the Access Request Settings dialog box, Uncheck Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders and anything below and check Allow access requests.
  • Now Site Owner should receive emails for all sharing actions and can approve decline requests

Please let us know if it's working as expected.

Hi, thanks for that

Yes I was in the right place and configuring as I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.