Sharing with everyone available but sharing within organization is disabled

Steel Contributor

I understand their are a zillion places where sharing is configured, but I can't find how this is possible:

Creating a "link for everyone" is possible, but it is not possible to share within the organisation?

SHARING.png

26 Replies

Thanks for the additional details. Let me make sure I have this straight...

You have site collection Foo.

You shared Foo with "Everyone". 

Question: Is anyone in the Foo members group?

You have one or more document libraries in the site.

These document libraries have broken inheritance.

Question: Are they inheriting the Foo members group or do they start as empty?

You permission individual users to the document library. 

They have permission to the site via the Everyone group but only to the site via the direct permission.

When these users attempt to share, anonymous links are disabled.

Is this correct? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Thanks Bart. Wherever possible, we do the following on our sites:

• Allow 'everyone (except external users) read only access
  • Restrict only what needs to be restricted; this includes changing the Members to 'read only' if we don't want changes made
  • Keep an eye on the audit trails

We follow this model after many years of trying to fix up customised permissions on libraries and lists (and some pages), and even folders and individual documents, which became a nightmare to manage.

On our root site (name.sharepoint.com), we allow 'everyone (except external users)' read only access to the content as we use that site as a general 'portal' site to point users to where they may want to go to, e.g., their OneDrive, their SharePoint, their O365 etc. We did think to use it as a replacement intranet but changed this strategy once we saw the potential complexity involved.

I just came accross this post because we have the same issue. Since there have not been any posts, is there a solution??

I actually have a ticket in with Microsoft on this. Hopefully I remember to come back to this post when I get the answer!

What you are seeing is actually by design. If you take a peek at the Microsoft link below on sharing list items, you will see that "People in your org" is disabled. If you think about it...how often do you really share actual list items and furthermore how frequently would you ever share a list item with your whole org?

Sharing List Items

Check if "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode"  site collection feature is activated or not.

If activated try de-activating and check if it works for you, in case you still have the same issue.

@Stefaan De Vreese @bart vermeersch