SOLVED

Sharepoint sites "document" folder permissions

Copper Contributor

A document folder structure within a sharepoint site can be many folders deep.

I need a team where some members can only see down to the 2nd folder level, but i don't want the whole team to see deeper folders ( old versions).

How do I limit visibility  of folders?

Thanks

Stuart

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Stuart Fawcett (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stuart Fawcett While SharePoint can have many folder levels, it's recommend you avoid folders in favor of using metadata to classify content.  What it sounds like you are trying to do it give access to a parent folder, but not give permissions to users to see folders inside of that. Not really an easy way to do this, without providing unique permissions to all of the sub items as well (not recommended).

When you talk about "old versions" can you describe what this means, are you holding duplicate types of files in this folders as some sort of archive?

I'm not sure entirely what the library is used for/business case, but I recommend trying to avoid granular permissions like this. Is there any way these files can  be broken out into different libraries instead?

Thanks @Beau Cameron , yes you are right, i wanted to hide older archive versions.

Can I have 2 document library in one share point site, each with different permissions?

Thanks

Stuart

Many thanks @Beau Cameron , its not what i expected but i've mocked it up and i can see it working.

Cheers

Stuart

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stuart Fawcett (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stuart Fawcett While SharePoint can have many folder levels, it's recommend you avoid folders in favor of using metadata to classify content.  What it sounds like you are trying to do it give access to a parent folder, but not give permissions to users to see folders inside of that. Not really an easy way to do this, without providing unique permissions to all of the sub items as well (not recommended).

When you talk about "old versions" can you describe what this means, are you holding duplicate types of files in this folders as some sort of archive?

I'm not sure entirely what the library is used for/business case, but I recommend trying to avoid granular permissions like this. Is there any way these files can  be broken out into different libraries instead?

View solution in original post