SOLVED

SharePoint online Modern teamsites

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I have gone through some articles of SharePoint online modern teamsites, but i was wondering as i am not able to see that similar in my SP online sites, kindly help me how to create modern team sites and further pages with modern style.

34 Replies
Hi Awake, you need to give some more info are you on first release tenant? If yes create a new site collection and new site you will get a new modern experience. It could also be that you admin puted it on classic by default than it is not possible
Modern Team Sites are not fully released yet...rollout started last week for First Release but it's not completed...from my experience, I still don't have modern team sites on at least two of my tenants (the ones I use to check on a daily basis)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies but i didnt get you completely what information you need, but this ismy developer account just for doing some RnD, i have created this account 2 onths before, so how i can get that new modern team site now, it would be great if you please help me in this. Thanks in advance

best response confirmed by Awake Kapoor (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Have you enabled First Release in your Dev Tenant? see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-the-Standard-or-First-Release-options-in-Office-365-... for the instructions

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your reply.

I have enabled first release as directed in that article, but still not able to see the modern team sites and pages  see the scrennshot below. kindly help me out in this.

Hey Dean,

Thanks its working now .:)

Might be it takes time to update my tenant. Thanks for your help

Hi Juan. When the rollout is completed, will pre-existing Team Sites become "Modern", or only the new Team Sites will be "Modern"? TIA

Hi everyone! Thanks for the interest in this area! I just wanted to chime in to reiterate a few of the previous replies and hopefully clarify any confusion around the recent MC post and rollout of this feature.

First Release for the new self-service site creation flow from SharePoint Home will start this week. This means it will take some time before it reaches all FR customers, so be patient! This will be the complementary UX (along w/ other details described in this blog post: https://blogs.office.com/2016/11/08/create-connected-sharepoint-online-team-sites-in-seconds/) to the admin settings - which HAS already been rolled out 100% to FR customers.

We rolled out the admin UI early so admins could review the available settings and make any updates prior to the UX being available. For details on these settings, check out this help article (also available from the MC post published last week announcing this change): https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-site-creation-in-SharePoint-Online-e72844a3-0171-47c...

@Salvatore Biscari - actually both! Sort of. What I mean is existing sites are getting a lot of these modern experiences (you can see it already in lists and libraries and site contents page). You'll soon be able to create modern pages and make those the home pages of your existing team sites. But this release will only attach an Office 365 group to a newly created site (via the new provision flow). Upgrading (or "groupifying") a classic team site is something in our backlog that we're looking at, but isn't available yet.

HTH!

Sean

We have enabled First Release for selected users, but we don't have the new Create Site command option. Is this expected behavior? The documentation does not make it explicity clear what type fo First Release option is required to get the new functionality.

I also do not see it in our settings so the admin can't be 100% rolled out @Sean Squires. We are also selective FR

Mmm...I have the new Admin experience in two of my tenants. Both are cofigured in full First Release for the entire organization

Hey Ruben,

You can find the settings in Admin center of your tenant. find the screenshot for your reference.

Understood. But Awake, I already have first release turned on for selected users there. The two users are myself and another individual. The president does not want the entire company to participate in first release.

Hi Sean. Thanks for your answer.

I have some questions:

1. If I understand you well, newly created team sites (via the new provision flow), will automatically get an attached O365 Group. Will this be mandatory or, at the moment of creation of a team site, it will be possible to opt for having an attached Group or not?
  2. If I understand you well, existing team sites will not get automatically an attached Group. Probably this ability to "groupify" the team site (i.e. a procedure to attach a Group to existing team sites) will be added later. Am I correct?
  3. Existing team sites will get (and indeed they are already getting) some "modern experiences", but they will not get automatically a modern homepage. Nevertheless, we will be able soon to create manually modern homepages for them, i.e. to manually "modernize" existing team sites. Am I correct?

TIA.

I also do not have the new Admin Experience for creating sites as yet.

In addtion, provisioning new Team subsites in our current tennant is also now failing with the following message ' One or more field types are not installed properly'. Ticket was raised with Microsoft and they told me to swtich publishing features off accross all the sites then, activate it again. After completing this, we still have the same issue.

@Salvatore Biscari I have tried to add the new Sites Page to the existing Sites Pages library and create them manually but, it keeps saying there is a feature that needs to be activated. Don't know what this feature is.

1. It will be possible to opt for having a Group attached or not
2. Yes
3. Yes

Scott, I think that the feature is not yet fully deployed...

We have received the functionality to create a group when creating a team site now.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Awake Kapoor (Copper Contributor)