SharePoint Online

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I need to migrate some lotus notes application database to SharePoint online.

Do I need to migrated to SharePoint on premises then to office 365 or can we migrate directly to Online.

we dont have On premises environment currently.

5 Replies

you don't need SP Server on-premises, but you will need some 3rd party tools to migrate some of the content. Depending on what the Notes apps do, you will need to rebuild/replace them with some different technologies

Thanks for your response Dean.

I will let you know if i get more info regarding the notes application that we are using.

Can you please suggest some 3rd party tools for this migration?

Regards,

James Daniel

I know that Quest has a tool, but I've never used it so I have no idea how well it works.

This may be a good opportunity to reimagine the applications by reviewing the business processes to see what is going to be needed in the future. It is quite possible that the old apps are no longer what the business users really need.

Agree with Dean you have to look for third party tools to do the migration or even built your own migration stuff...one important thing to consider here is about what you need to migrate...if we are talking about data, what has been explained applies...but if we are talking about a full Notes App I'm afraid you will have to rewrite it in SPO / Office 365 / Azure depending on what your App does

@James_DanielI would recommend you to contact us at Binary Tree (www.binarytree.com), we are helping many customers to migrate big volumes of Domino databases to Sharepoint Online. You can also send me an email at Viktor.jansson@binarytree.com if you want to know more of what we do :)