SharePoint Online - Open in the client application behavior with a template

Iron Contributor

I have a custom Word template in my SharePoint Online library with modern experience.  Some fields are required. In library settings I have Open in the client application behavior selected under Advanced Settings. When a user clicks on a New > Custom Template MS Word opens but the SharePoint Properties panel is stuck on Loading... Is this an expected behavior assuming that the files has never been saved to SharePoint? Are correct steps now to go to the Info section, provide all required fields and save the file back to SharePoint? Additionally when saving it is not defaulting to the library where we clicked on the New button. Is this also expected for users to manually navigate to that library?

clipboard_image_0.png

2 Replies
I would say this is not expected and the library metadata should shown in that panel...in the past I have seen this panel not working as expected, but in my case I think this has been due to the fact I use to work with different Office 365 accounts and Office sometimes seems to not be able to deal with this

@Juan Carlos González Martín When you look at the info panel in Word for this scenario it says that the file has not been saved yet which would make sense not to show the info...

clipboard_image_0.png