SharePoint Online - Filtering News View using Metadata

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm trialling the News feature on a subsite of our site collection and am running into some issues using filtering to display the News by category on the homepage of the site. I added a 'Category' to the metadata of the news articles (and it's mandatory) so that I could set up the news views on the homepage, but these are proving very temperamental. Occasionally the filters pick up and correctly display articles with the selected category, but on other occasions all articles are pulled into the supposedly filtered listing.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I've got a backup of filtering in the site pages/news article library itself, but would like to be able to use the News views to display the top articles for our users.

3 Replies

I just created a support ticket for this.  I have one News Web part with a category of Featured News.  That works correctly.  I created another News Web part with a category of More News.  When I edit the page, it looks exactly the way it should.  If I refresh the page, the More News will show all approved News from the site without filtering.  I added the category field as an indexed field and re-indexed the Site Pages library.  Still nothing.  I will update if when I hear back on the support ticket. 

@Carol DeMuth

Hi Carol,

I have the same issues where news articles are not consistent in appearing as per the metadata tagging? Any update on this?

@Carol DeMuth wrote:

I just created a support ticket for this.  I have one News Web part with a category of Featured News.  That works correctly.  I created another News Web part with a category of More News.  When I edit the page, it looks exactly the way it should.  If I refresh the page, the More News will show all approved News from the site without filtering.  I added the category field as an indexed field and re-indexed the Site Pages library.  Still nothing.  I will update if when I hear back on the support ticket. 

I never got a resolution - so gave up and came up with a different strategy.  I am hoping that the Organization News feature coming out soon will help.