SharePoint Online Calculated List Column

Brass Contributor

I'm sure I should know this, but I thought the community might help. I'm trying to create a calculated list column that returns a "Yes," based on another column's data. The data column will have a (textual) billing code entered in the format, e.g., "7254.10-022-0000" or "9300.26-000-0000." I want any code that begins with a "6" or "7"  (anything with a first digit UNDER "9") to return a "Yes" value. I am having trouble with the syntax--not much familiarity with this, and what I've searched so far is confusing me. Is there a formula for "begins with?" I thought it should be a "less than" (">") type formula, but because of the nature of our billing codes (we need that format), I just can't figure out how to arrive at the number to enter for the "less than", so I thought instead I'd go by the first digit? Help much appreciated.

3 Replies
Best to find things not equal to 9. I think this should work, you might have

=IF(LEFT(Column1) = 9, "No", "Yes") , might have to plug an ISNUMBER() around it if that doens't work but I think that will get what you need.

Thanks so much. I will play with this... the first one you sent worked, the second I'm not able to get to work, but I understand the differences in what you sent, and will try and play with it (I'm sure it's me just  missing something in the syntax.)

Thanks so much!

well i deleted the first one cause it searched the whole string for a 9 i think, that's why I redid it :p. But yeah, You might have to use the ISNUMBER() or what not and it might work.

Here is what I used to find how to do it, has all the functions you can use and alot of examples, found one similar to what you were asking, so If you can't get it, reference this and find another function that should. But the way I put above should work, just got to figure the syntax and maybe add in the whole isnumber function.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Examples-of-common-formulas-in-SharePoint-Lists-D81F5F21-2B...