SharePoint News Rollup Image options?

Silver Contributor

What kind of control do we have on the SharePoint News rollup image?

We are starting to experiment with the News and every rollup image looks terrible.  Is there any configuration options where we can pick what the picture looks like?

3 Replies
Not currently out of the box, they are adding this in thou, when not sure, I just know they said they were looking into it.

What i've done to get around it is not using a banner, use the x to remove the banner in general, then just post an image somewhere on the page, this will get picked up as the background. Easier that way.

I also figured out the method mentioned above and it works as described.  Adding an image web part anywhere in the News article will be used as the preview image in the News web part.

Hi @Brent Ellis - Yes it looks terrible. Today (~1.5 years since your post)  I wanted to create a news post about about a new MS Teams channel. The News Post describes the purpose of the channel and it includes a screen shot of the top of the channel with the tabs highlighted.  The home page of the site contains the News web part and since I chose no header image it used the screen shot, but it just a small portion of the screen shot and it is zoomed in so the thumbnail is pixelated and terrible looking.  If I chose to use a custom image as the header of the news, I could set the thumbnail image, but the header image is a terrible waste of screen real estate.  I think I will go that way and cross my fingers that someone at MSFT is working on this.