SharePoint Modern Team Site External Sharing

Iron Contributor

Trying to figure out how to share a Modern SharePoint Team Site with an external user. I can do the old teams sites via the SharePoint Admin Centre, but can't see how to do the new ones.

I can add an external member to the Group that gets created with the Modern team site, but that only allows them to see the 'Files' etc in the group, it does not give them access to the team site that was created.

Am I missing something... or has this not been implemented yet?

I've had to create an older style team site where I can 'share' the entire site (or a file/folder) with an external user with an MS account, and set the site's sharing settings to allow this.

Look forward to any advice.

6 Replies

Thanks @Salvatore Biscari. I am understanding this a lot better now.

So to share a modern sharepoint team site with external (guest) users this has to be done at the group level in Outlook/OWA, and can't be done via the sharepoint site?

Also, I've now got an external guest using a site (group) I have setup. In the now modern sites, how can I control what guests can do? For example I don't want guests to be able to delete files etc.

Look forward to your reply.

Jason.

Wrt SPO, we have two separate concepts:

1. External member. An external member can access all SPO resources of the Group with the same permissions of the internal members. (BTW an external member participates natively, but only via email, also to the Group conversations.)
  2. External user. An external user is the "target" of Group SPO resources sharing and has individual permissions.

In theory you can mix and match the two "roles" in order to model your requirements. In practice at the moment there are some limitations...

You may want to give a look to this thread: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/Best-Practices-for-Permissions-on-an-O365-G...

Do you think this access option will be available in both “Classic” and “Modern” sharepoint sites?

Which access option?

Apologies, I got distracted and managed to respond to the wrong post.