SOLVED

SharePoint Modern Lists - going to 10% of First Release tenants

Microsoft

We are continuing with the rollout of the modern lists feature. Last week we had rolled it out to all of First Release Users. This week, we will take the next step and go to 10% of users in First Release Tenants. All of these users should also see the PowerApps and Flow buttons in the command bar. Expect this rollout to hit your users within this week!

The step after this will be to go to 50% and then 100% of users in First Release Tenants, expected over the next two to three weeks. We will make a new post to announce these next steps.

As I mentioned in my previous post, please note that modern lists, just like modern document libraries, may detect some incompatible features and fall back to the classic SharePoint view for some of your lists. Take a look at this article for the known cases where we fall back to classic, and this article for getting your bearings around modern lists.

Please see the previous post for details about our announcement of modern lists:

https://network.office.com/t5/Blogs/Modern-SharePoint-lists-are-here-Including-integration-with/bc-p...

43 Replies
I think you should simply disable new experience until Microsoft adds support to script blocks

The issue is that for consultants with many clients we do not always have the control to force all tenants into classic mode. Users are going to start seeing the modern UI regardless. If the intention is to detect customizations and not serve up the modern UI (as it has been communicated by MS and it seems to do properly in some areas) then it needs to be consistent. I don't think custom script blocks are coming to the modern UI any time soon and I think when they do they will not be a carryover of custom actions b/c trying to streamline old/new customizations would be an absolute nightmare.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)

Hi @Mark Bice, agreed that this is not an optimal experience for the scenario that you describe. For these situations, we propose that you use the workaround that @Juan Carlos González Martín mentioned, and disable the modern ui for the entire site using PowerShell.

I understand how to disable it, that's easy enough.. My question was more around whether or not this was expected behaviour even though there are custom actions registered (the article you link to says custom actions should automatically force pages into classic). If it's a bug that is known and will be resolved soon, great. If it's not considered a bug and it's expected to have certain pages go to modern UI even with customizations then we need to know which areas are affected and then effectively communicate that to our end users (we don't control many of the tenants in which we have customized so it's an exercise of communicating the experience back to each and every tenant admin so they can disable the modern UI if they choose).

Thanks

Right on. Yes, this is the expected design. We run fallback in the context of the list that you are dealing with, and only fall back to classic if we know that we can't support a customization using modern ux. The idea was that if you don't have a lot of customizations, most things work in modern, and that one page/form that has the customizations can still run in classic. I agree it's not a great design when you have a lot of different parts going back and forth between modern and classic. We don't have a solution for that at the moment other than forcing the site to use all classic. So if this kind of behavior is common in sites with your solutions, then I agree it might be best to communicate to customers to run that PowerShell for the sites that use your solutions.

As we improve our customization story for modern UI using SharePoint framework, hopefully these will be reduced to nil, but in the meanwhile, we will have this side by side experience.
Hi,
I just wanted to chime in and add, that the new Listitem Edit UI wrongly shows the Attachments Field, even though I specifically disabled attachments in the list settings.
When you try to add an attachment you get this error: Encountering issue when uploading attachment ACV_Skype Features.pdf : The list item was saved, but attachments could not be saved because the attachments feature is currently unavailable for this list.

My 2 cents on this is that the update properties on the view option cannot be disabled which means bypassing any form logic we use.

Allow items in this list to be edited using Quick Edit set to No in Advanced settings doesn't affect this.

Allow individual item checkboxes set to No in the view settings doesnt affect this.

I need to know if this will be something we can disable (or if the option will be available before this goes live to all) as if this isn't possible then I'll need to rethink using SharePoint and look into other options.

@Ali Salih I am experiencing this same problem, but I'm not seeing anywhere to assign a PowerApps and Flow license. Can you tell me where that is hiding?

Thanks 

Hi @Dean Gross - By the time I wrote that reply, it was an option under Active Users -> {Username} -> Product licenses. Now, I can not see it there either. So I am not sure. 

@Kerem Yuceturk - Any updates on this ?

Thanks, i will do some more research. I have found that if i go to the MS Flow site, i could login in with my account and now it seems to be working. Not exactly smooth, but at least now I can do some work with my client.
Yes...this is something I have also experienced in one of my tenants:
- I have PowerApps and Flow as licenses I could assign to tenant users, but at some time they disappeared.
- But I enter in the Flow or PowerApps page and Sign In I can see my Flows and my PowerApps and create new ones.

Well, both products are still in preview ...

Correct, while in preview Flow and PowerApps are free to use for anyone. Once we reach general availability, Flow will remain completely open and free for limited usage, and both Flow and PowerApps will be included for free in almost all Office SKU's. That means that you can always depend on the fact that anyone who has access to SharePoint (or otherwise) will have access to Flow and PowerApps.

@Stephen Siciliano Will there be certain controls available to Global or SPO admins so that they can enforce some level of governance policies around the use of these products?  In other words, If organizationally I am not ready to support end-user created Flows or PowerApps, what can I do to stop users creating these ?

@Stephen Siciliano I want to ask the same question, We want to stop end user to create Flows and PowerApps. If we turn off license for PowerApps and Flows in Admin center does it solve our problem.

The preview Flow and PowerApps are free, public services that anyone can sign up with whatever account they would like, so licenses don't mean anything for those products. This is the same way that Power BI works today, for example.

If you want to disable users from using the free services from Microsoft you can disable ad-hoc subscriptions:

To disable automatic license distribution for existing users: Set-MsolCompanySettings -AllowAdHocSubscriptions $false

You can read more here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Power-BI-in-your-organization-d7941332-8aec-4e5e-87e8-92073...

Note that this will disable the user signing up for anything for free, such as Power BI, Microsoft Stream, Azure RMS etc...

Thanks for the response @Stephen Siciliano -  I am not concerned about the Preview phases of these products.

I am more concerned when these go GA. Will I have any control besides this PowerShell cmdlet? Is the PowerShell cmdlet to disable Adhoc subscriptions still work for generally available products? Those are the answers I am seeking.  Also it seems like this cmdlet either stops or starts ALL adhoc products at once. I think this all or none approach is rather against the adoption process of such products. Less than ideal method here..

I want to be able to control when new products enter my environment (when they are in GA).  It is less than ideal when new productivity tools are available to end users without setting any expectations from supportability perspective.  In an example; If my end users build Flows/PowerApps that business processes depend on it, and as IT organization I am not ready to support it, this would be a very big problem when an issue comes up. Hence, I'm seeking some control of the roll out of these products.

We are very glad that Microsoft teams are working on providing new tools in Office 365 at rapid pace, however, pace of change is rather too fast especially for larger organizations. These types of organizations seek options to throttle the pace so that they have controlled chaos. My 2cents.

Hello Ali -

What's coming at GA is full control over the usage of Flow and PowerApps inside of your organization. You will be able to manage the enviornments that users create content in, as well as the services that those Flows and PowerApps use. For example, you can block the transfer of data from SharePoint to Twitter, etc.... To the best of my knowledge, we don't have a blanket master switch to disable ALL aspects of PowerApps and Flow. Instead, our focus is to give IT visibility and control over HOW Flow and PowerApps are used, not to disable it. 

-Stephen

Thanks! Seems like a good first step.

Will existing apps / lists such as Tasks and Issues Tracker also assume the new SharePoint Modern lists view? At the moment, they revert to the classic view.

I'm in the process of defining a "Risks Tracker" list across new Project-oriented team site templates, but I'm concerned as to whether or not they will assume the new modern list format (which is what I'd like).  In fact, I wasn't sure whether I should use a custom list, tasks list, Issues tracking list or perhaps even take a completely different route and use Planner for such a purpose.  Exciting (and confusing) times ahead. Thanks.