SOLVED

SharePoint Modern Lists - going to 10% of First Release tenants

Microsoft

We are continuing with the rollout of the modern lists feature. Last week we had rolled it out to all of First Release Users. This week, we will take the next step and go to 10% of users in First Release Tenants. All of these users should also see the PowerApps and Flow buttons in the command bar. Expect this rollout to hit your users within this week!

The step after this will be to go to 50% and then 100% of users in First Release Tenants, expected over the next two to three weeks. We will make a new post to announce these next steps.

As I mentioned in my previous post, please note that modern lists, just like modern document libraries, may detect some incompatible features and fall back to the classic SharePoint view for some of your lists. Take a look at this article for the known cases where we fall back to classic, and this article for getting your bearings around modern lists.

Please see the previous post for details about our announcement of modern lists:

https://network.office.com/t5/Blogs/Modern-SharePoint-lists-are-here-Including-integration-with/bc-p...

43 Replies
Thanks for the update, especially the link that shows what features are only available in Classic view.

Hi @Kerem Yuceturk, we are now seeing Modern Lists in our First Release tenant that we use for testing new services.  We have concerns around the inclusion of the Flow and PowerApps buttons - can this be removed using an admin control?

I'm trying to give power apps a try from the new lists but whenever I click to Edit in Powerapps I get a security certificate warning. Any ideas?

I'm also interested in whether I can remove the PowerApps and Flow options, at least for some lists. Are these options linked to the manage lists permission or site collection admininstrator level?

I don't think you can remove both actions from the new list UX (at least currently)...have you tried both actions in different browsers? In one of my tenants with IE, I'm not having problems using both Flow or PowerApps actions
It might be a problem at our end, thanks for confirming its not a global issue.

There are interesting things going on in regards to Flow and PowerApps and I'd like to share some of my notes, and look for validation. 

1- Flow: I found out that It is fairly easy to control access to Flow. If a user doesn't have the license for 'Flow and PowerApps', s/he can not access to Flow. User will be prompted with a warning that says "The user with object identifier 'SOMEGUID' in tenant 'SOMEGUID' does not have an entitlement to use Power Apps". Licensing give some level of control to usage of Flow, and user can not continue to design surface. Note: Error message probably needs to be cleaned up a bit for clarity. GUIDs scare regular users.

2- PowerApps: This is where things get a little interesting. If a user without a license clicks on Power Apps, s/he gets a bit less gracious error message initially. "Error creating app from data. There was a problem saving your PowerApp to the cloud. Please try again." I am not sure if that initial error message is consistent behavior or it happened once.

However, after clicking CLOSE to this warning, user is presented with the PowerApps design surface and everything continued to function normally. This was a big wow moment for me.

Continuing my tests, I found out that without a Flow & PowerApps license user was able to create a Power App, save and publish it, and later make it public for other users. Please keep in mind, that test user had only "member" level permissions on the site collection, nothing else.

This is the part that's very concerning when you consider a big tenant with thousands of users. If users start building Power Apps that at some point their businesses depend on it (similar to workflows, and workflow solutions) - all of a sudden you can guess the challenge thrown at an IT organization to support these PowerApp solutions created, without any visibility to them. You can see how things will get really hectic, rapidly.

I believe in order to build sustainable solutions, IT organizations need to have some level of control to pace new functions introduced in SharePoint Online to their user base. We have to keep in mind that, although these are fantastic tools to empower users, without proper training and guides, all we are doing is creating an havoc on support teams. We have over and over again proven that providing regular users any level of somewhat complex tool without proper training guide, support expactions and general governance policy, is like handing a kid a loaded gun. It simply isn't good, and no good outcome can be expected out of it.  I believe these new tools (Flow and PowerApps) need proper exposure controls to help IT organizations define the governance framework around them.

If there are controls and I wasn't able to figure them out, I'd like to get more information regarding to them, so that I can plan and pace the exposure by defining a proper governance framework before things get out of control.

PS: I had some difficulty using Chrome as a browser accessing PowerApps, button were not visible. IE functioned properly.

I work for a fairly large org so having no overall visibility of what PowerApps/Flows people are creating is very concerning as if they experience problems it's muggins here who will have to look into it. Member access to me is list content editor level. I wouldnt expect a member to create/update lists so why would they be able to create PowerApps? Very odd behaviour.

Powerapps bypassing the license sounds like a bug so hopefully it will be fixed?

One question, if a user doesn't have the license then why are they able to see the buttons at all?

Thanks @Ali Salih for yoru detailed assessment and sharing here.  The findings and conclusions you draw, are exactly what concenrs us today.  Particualrly froma  complaince perspective and the need to be in control of our data, we will not be able to proceed as this is presented in First Release.

Yes, in my testing the buttons were available and the account I was using was not licensed for these services.

Are you sure we cannot remove the PowerApps and Flow options for lists ? It will be a big deal for us if this cannot be removed. 

Hi @Clifford Kennedy. we have heard this feedback from other customers too, and we are implementing a change that will tie these buttons to the "Preview Features" switch found in SharePoint tenant admin. This should be there before the end of the month, if not sooner. So you will soon be able to switch the "Preview Features" off, and remove the buttons from modern lists ui. This shuold be there before this feature is released broadly to Prod.

In the future, we are planning to govern these via a policy page that governs data access to SharePoint that we are building.

Hope this helps!

Hi @Sian Busby, sorry to hear about the error. We did have an issue with the Edit button that we are fixing this week. In the meanwhile, you should be able to go to https://web.powerapps.com and find and edit all of your apps there.

Also, let me repeat my earlier answer about the button availability: We have heard the feedback about hiding the buttons from other customers too, and we are implementing a change that will tie these buttons to the "Preview Features" switch found in SharePoint tenant admin. This should be there before the end of the month, if not sooner. So you will soon be able to switch the "Preview Features" off, and remove the buttons from modern lists ui.

In the future, we are planning to govern these via a policy page that governs data access to SharePoint that we are building.

Hi @Ali Salih, thank you for the detailed post. It is indeed strange that removing the license doesn't change the behavior for PowerApps, I am raising this issue with our friends there.

We hear your feedback on the governance story for PowerApps, and they are working on a solid story here before they go to General Availability (expected later this year).

Also please see my response above re: being able to hide the buttons.

Thanks @Kerem Yuceturk - I got a simialr message from the product group overnight, so that will indeed help us in our efforts to remain compliant.

So we are now seeing the Modern Lists in our Tenent however the one issue we seem to be having is that our content types are not playing well with the new views.  Specifically when creating or editing items in a list with the Content Type added some of the fields are missing and those fields are needed.  Has anyone else seen this experience?  We can always switch back to classic view but would prefer not to as we try to provide our users with the most modern experience but this is severely affecting our users ability to add new items to lists.

Hi @Christopher King, this is unexpected. The new item experience should let you pick the content type you want to start with and show you the fields in the new form that are appropirate for that content type, just like classic. And for edit, the content type picker should allow you to switch the form to show the appropriate fields as well. We also check all the types for a content type and if we find any that the modern UI can't display properly, we fall back to classic automatically.

Could you share here, (or privately if you prefer), what types the fields that are missing are? And their settings if you don't mind. There may be an issue that we have not caught in our testing.

Kerem,

I replied to your private message you sent with the information.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. For the benefit of the rest of the audience, we are now investigating a fix for the issue where Publishing HTML fields are not showing up in the new/edit/display forms used by modern lists. We will hold off on expanding the audience for modern lists until the issue is resolved. At the moment the workaround is to go back to classic. We expect to solve this issue within a week.

Hi,

We have custom actions in place that register script blocks and even though auto-detect should fall back to classic lists we still see modern UI for site contents and when adding/editing a list item. Viewing the list itself is in classic, though. This makes for quite a disjointed experience as the user goes through the following flow:

Publishing (custom, branded experience)

Site Contents (new modern UI)

List (custom, branded)

Add/Edit list item (new modern UI)

Should all administrative pages go back to classic mode if there are any custom actions registered?

Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)