SOLVED

SharePoint Migration Tool with file exclusions not reporting/running as expected

Steel Contributor

I was curious if anyone in the community was successful with using the Migration Tool with file exclusions. I did a migration with a small list of exclusions first time through, but now i'm throwing everything with a kitchen sink at it. The initial scan report isn't listing those file types as being explicitly excluded. Going to click next when my PC has some spare compute time for it to see what happens. Definitely interested what anyone else is seeing.

Here's the exclusion string I utilize in the tool:
0.1|0.1|0.19422894|_|_Fonts|_the_kitchen_sink|ac|accdb|ACTIONS|ai|am|APACHE2|app|application|AppSharingMediaProviderlog|asax|ascx|ashx|asmx|asp|aspx|babelrc|backup|bak|bat|bdcm|bdcr|bin|bithoundrc|bmp|bnf|bowerrc|BSD|c|cab|cache|cc|cer|cert|certs|changed|chm|CMD|cmp|coffee|conf|config|cpp|crt|cs|cshtml|csproj|css|dat|db|debugapp|def|DIC|disabled|disco|dll|dmp|DS_Store|dtd|dwp|editorconfig|el|eot|eslintignore|eslintrc|etl|exe|ext1|ext2|ext3|feature|filters|flow|fontified|force|gitattributes|gitignore|gitkeep|gitmodules|glox|gnu|gyp|gypi|gz|h|hbs|hpp|icns|ics|iml|in|info|ini|iso|js|jsbeautifyrc|jscsrc|jshintignore|jshintrc|jslintrc|jsm|json|jsonlz4|jsonlz4-20181206201918|jst|keep|keepme|key|lex|lib|lic|lint|lintignore|little|lnk|loadtest|lock|log|ls|lz4|m4|mailmap|manifest|map|markdown|master|md|md~|MemoryStream|metadata|metadata-v2|min-wd|MIT|mkd|mozlz4|msapp|msi|msu|name|nib|node|npmignore|nupkg|nuspec|odc|officeUI|opts|orig|origin|ost|otf|p7b|package|partial|patch|pb|pcapng|pdb|pem|pfx|pl|plist|PML|pnp|pp|priv|pset|pst|pub|py|rb|rc|rdg|rdp|reg|rels|req|resx|rst|sample|sass|saz|sbstore|scss|search-ms|settings|sh|sig|sln|snk|source-map|spcolor|spdata|spec|sql|sqlite|stp|strings|sublime-project|sublime-workspace|suo|svc|svg|swf|sys|tap|tar|targ|targets|tern-port|testignore|testsettings|text|tgz|thmx|tm_properties|tmp|transform|trdx|trx|ts|tsx|ttf|UccApilog|udcx|un~|url|user|vcxproj|vsd|vsdx|vss|watchr|webpart|webtest|webtestresult|wer|woff|woff2|wsdl|wsp|xaml|xap|xar|xclangspec|xml|xpi|xsd|xsf|xsl|xsn|yaml|yml|

Why this string? It's my own file share as a Dev/Engineer/DutiesAsAssigned...

Edit/Clarification:
Trying to just target Office Documents, PDFs, etc type of files. I know OneDrive can handle all the types, but this is what we are being asked to do.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Joshua Clark (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi Timothy,

I tested this today and found that extensions need to be separated by ":", not "|".  I created files using your extension list then performed a migration where these extensions were excluded.  The only extensions that didn't work were "0.1" (listed twice), and "0.19422894".  I suspect that if you added these extensions as "1" and "19422894" the list would work.

Making sure this is noted somewhere... With this large of a file extension exclusion list and a migrating a large amount of content will make the SharePoint Migration Tool take a long spin up and analyze the data prior to migrating the files. Not an issue but more as a warning of expected behavior, IMO.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Joshua Clark (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi Timothy,

I tested this today and found that extensions need to be separated by ":", not "|".  I created files using your extension list then performed a migration where these extensions were excluded.  The only extensions that didn't work were "0.1" (listed twice), and "0.19422894".  I suspect that if you added these extensions as "1" and "19422894" the list would work.

View solution in original post