SOLVED

SharePoint IOS app diverts document library to the OneDrive IOS app, which does not show the library

Copper Contributor

I want to highlight an issue, which is possible a bug or a design oversight. I wonder if anybody else has experienced the same issue.

Site Set up:

I created a Microsoft Team. On the SharePoint site that came with it, to prevent users from accidentally breaking Teams by moving the General folder in the default Document library, which has happened, I changed the name of the library from Documents to Team Channel Files. I created a new document library called Finance Documents. I edited the quick launch menu, added the Finance Documents library and removed the Team Channel Files from there.

SharePoint IOS app access:

I used the SharePoint IOS app to access files from the SharePoint site. As you can see, when I clicked on the hamberger button, the quick launch menu shows the Finance Documents library.

sharepoint_app_issue_site.pngsharepoint_app_quicklaunch.png

Diversion to OneDrive and Issue of missing Document libraries

When I clicked on the Finance Documents, the app diverts me the the OneDrive app. The problem was the OneDrive app did not show any other document library other than the default one, which I had renamed to Team Channel Files. I could not see the Finance Document library.

I created four Teams recently and in each one of their SharePoint sites I created new document libraries. In three of them, once the SharePoint IOS app diverted to the OneDrive app, I could not see the new document libraries I had created. The only way I could access those document libraries' contents was if I clicked on Site Contents in the SharePoint app and select the library there. This way the app did not divert to OneDrive.

IMG_9659.PNG

SharePointApp_SiteContents.png

11 Replies

Could you elaborate from where you create the Team Site? If you created from Teams, be careful since it's not recommended to rename any SPO related stuff  to prevent any problems when accessing files from teams...in regards of the problems you are having in the SPO Apps, to me it seems this is a bug...adding @Mark Kashman

Thanks for the reply.  I did create the Team Site from Teams. Renaming the default document library in the librarly properties has no effect to accessing Files from Teams because the URL of the document library remains the same (Documents). What I would not do is to rename any folders that are linked to a channel. I renamed the library to Team Channel Files because it makes more sense and I don't want the users to use it by mistake. One of the Team owner were so keen in reorganising the Documents library, he moved the General (channel) folder to another folder and therefore broke the link to Teams. There was no way to fix that that I know of, so I had to create a new Teams site for him and migrate everything again.

I've figured out the cause of the issue. The libraries that showed up on the SharePoint app were created fresh in SharePoint. All the missing libraries were created by the Copy Site Objects using ShareGate from one SharePoint Online site to another.

Hmmm interesting, we use the CSOM to create the structure such as lists/libraries so it should be what is supported for the app.

I'll ask the team to take a look into it just in case. Would you mind reaching out to support@share-gate.com with the issue so we can be in contact with you and see what's up?

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin, thanks. I've already submitted a request to Sharegate support. I've tested it. I created a new document library from  a site that the migrated document libraries did not show on the OneDrive app. The new library shows. The missing libraries also showed on the OneDrive app when I looked at the source site that the original libraries were created on.

ShareGate suggested it's a OneDrive iOS app issue or that it's bad practice to use multiple document libraries. Since the only libraries that the OneDrive app cannot see are the ones created using Copy Site Objects, it implies to me that there is something missing when we use Copy Site Objects such as some sort of marker or step for the app to register that these document libraries exist. Being able to work on a mobile device is important for users on the go. Not everybody carries laptops with them especially if they are executives. Sharegate will investigate this further to rule out any bugs. I would probably not use the Copy site objects from Sharegate again until there is some know fix from either Sharegate or Microsoft.

best response confirmed by Louis Kwong (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thanks to Sharegate's help, I've got to the bottom of this. When you use Copy Site Objects to migrate a library to a modern Team site on SharePoint Online, it will not copy the DispForm.aspx, EditForm.aspx and Upload.aspx. You can check using SharePoint Designer 2013. Without these, not only can you not edit the properties of an item, the OneDrive iOS app cannot see the library.

On the Sharegate migration tool troubleshoot, it suggested you to enable Custom Script on the SharePoint Online environment. There is an option on the SharePoint Online Admin settings. However, that is not enough. You have enable this using PowerShell from the SharePoint Online Management Console.

This is the instruction from Sharegate:

1. Download and install Sharepoint Online Management Shell
  2. Open a Sharepoint Online Management Shell prompt
  3. Run the two following commands: Connect-SPOService -Url https://YourDomain-admin.sharepoint.com Set-SPOSite -Identity https://YourDomain.sharepoint.com/sites/YourSite/ -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0
  4. Try to remigrate.

It worked perfectly! The forms are now in the migrated library. The OneDrive iOS app can now see the library and its content.

Thanks to Sharegate's help, I've got to the bottom of this. When you use Copy Site Objects to migrate a library to a modern Team site on SharePoint Online, it will not copy the DispForm.aspx, EditForm.aspx and Upload.aspx. You can check using SharePoint Designer 2013. Without these, not only can you not edit the properties of an item, the OneDrive iOS app cannot see the library.

On the Sharegate migration tool troubleshoot, it suggested you to enable Custom Script on the SharePoint Online environment. There is an option on the SharePoint Online Admin settings. However, that is not enough. You have enable this using PowerShell from the SharePoint Online Management Shell.

3. Run the two following commands:
    Connect-SPOService -Url https://YourDomain-admin.sharepoint.com Set-SPOSite -Identity https://YourDomain.sharepoint.com/sites/YourSite/ -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0
  4. Try to remigrate.

It worked perfectly! The forms are now in the migrated library. The OneDrive iOS app can now see the library and its content.

The whole redirect from SharePoint to OneDrive seems to have more issues. I have a similar (related?) issue in the iOS OneDrive app for folders that were manually created in the SharePoint site.

Situation:

• I created a new team in Teams, which creates my Office 365 Group and SharePoint team site
  • Because of the default channel 'General' in Teams, I also get a folder ' General' in the 'Documents' library when I add a file there.
  • I created two new folders at the Documents root level, so alongside the folder 'General'
  • I open the iOS SharePoint App which then redirects me to OneDrive as soon as I click on 'Documents'.
  • Result: I only see the ' General' folder, not the two other ones I created manually

I need to go one step back in OneDrive, and then navigate to the library again in OneDrive, then I see all the folders.

Also: If I just start from OneDrive and browse to the site and library (so all in the iOS OneDrive app) all is fine, I see all of the folders rightaway.

Haven't figured it out yet, but I get the impression this is because it's a "special" team site, created from Teams. That's also the similarity I see with the other situation in this thread: the library already contains objects not created manually in SharePoint.

There's more to this issue

Plain vanilla SPO site... plain SPO document library - plain word document 

Users click on a word Document in the library, the SP Mobile app diverts/re-direct the users to the OneDrive app and of course fails to open the document 

Anyone that can point me to a solution? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Louis Kwong (Copper Contributor)
Solution

On the Sharegate migration tool troubleshoot, it suggested you to enable Custom Script on the SharePoint Online environment. There is an option on the SharePoint Online Admin settings. However, that is not enough. You have enable this using PowerShell from the SharePoint Online Management Console.

3. Run the two following commands: Connect-SPOService -Url https://YourDomain-admin.sharepoint.com Set-SPOSite -Identity https://YourDomain.sharepoint.com/sites/YourSite/ -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0
  4. Try to remigrate.

View solution in original post