SharePoint App - Force links to open in external browser?

Silver Contributor

I have a Communication site that has some links on it, when clicked on, it tries to load the page in the SharePoint App browser.

I'd like to force it to open externally in the device browser (e.g. Chrome).

Is there a way to force this to open outside of the SharePoint app?

6 Replies
AFAIK, only items that are open outside the SharePoint app are documents you try to open from the App

Did you ever find a way to disable the SharePoint app taking over when viewing sites like your comm site?  Having the same need as you.

Thanks!

Just a thought but the Promoted Links have the ability to force links into new browser tabs or as lightboxes.  However it can take quite a bit of qork to get Promoted Links to look the way you want them to unless you are OK with the default look.

a bit late but you can add "?web=1" add the end of the URL to force it to open in a browser

@Brent EllisThis is still a valid question. We work with a customer where the new intranet will be provided on mobile through Sharepoint mobile app, when pressing links to other system, i.e. HR set up with SSO, SP app opens a new session and won't keep the userID. Any suggestions here is appreciated. 

@Kevin De Smet What if it's a PDF link. How do you get a document link to open in a new browser window. I tired adding "?web=1" to the end of it, but it did work on a document, it did work on a page.