SOLVED

SharePoint 2019 - File gets locked by default to author and not allowed to update or delete

Copper Contributor

We are facing an issue with Microsoft SharePoint Server 2019, short description can be found below

Issue – Whenever a new file is created in SharePoint library, it gets locked by default to author and he/she is not allowed to update or delete the same document for a long period of time (usually a day)

error.png

Environment details -  

• Version – SharePoint server 2019
  • Servers used – 1 App, 1 Web, 1 SQL & 1 Office online servers
  • Library experience – Modern UI
  • Site template – Modern team sites
  • Versioning – Enabled
  • Check-In/Checkout – Not forced
  • Library mandatory fields – None
  • Sync to OneDrive – Enabled
  • Custom content type - enabled

Solutions already tried without any success – 

1. Un-synched one drive from library
  2. Created OOB library without any custom content type
  3. Created new site collection and used OOB Shared Documents library
  4. Restarted all servers
  5. Tried creating and uploading a document from word client(instead of creating using office online)
  6. Enabled force check-in/checkout option for the library
  7. Verified file doesn’t have any checked out versions by clicking on ‘Manage files which have no checked in version’ link available under library settings

Affected Users – All users who has access to create/upload documents to SharePoint

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

9 Replies

@nowshadm #following. I too see the same issue from past few days/weeks.

I had the same issue. Could not edit file properties.

Gould get around the problem by setting Office Online Server to read only.

Still search for a resolution without having to do this:

Set-OfficeWebAppsFarm-EditingEnabled:$false

I have the same issue with SharePoint Server 2019.

When users edit an Office document stored on SharePoint from the Office Suite of from the browser, then the document is locked for everyone during 1 hour. The locked document is still editable, but impossible to modify its properties, move it or delete it.

I hope Microsoft will quickly fix this issue.

@scfred This issue is fixed for me by installation of latest security updates for SharePoint 2019

best response confirmed by Christian Heim (Microsoft)

same problem it has been over an hour and the document is still "lock".

luckly i can edit the document because  of the library settings (there is no check out needed for editing) @scfred 

@MMMZ14 Hello,

Did you fix your problem ? because actually we have the same and i don't know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Benjamin

@Christian Heim This does not resolve the issue described in the OP. Neither do the release notes suggest that it has.

We're currently experiencing this issue in our SP 2019 farm patched up to Jan 2021 currently.

@ryangreenaway 

Have you found a solution for this? I have the same issues with a small farm, that is running September 2021 patch. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christian Heim (Microsoft)