SharePoint 2016 On Premise Disk Space Requirements

MVP

Hi,

I am working on a project for an organization that is planning to deploy SharePoint 2016 On-Prem. They have some internal IT Service team restrictions, which only allows the Primary Hard Disk space to be configured up to 60GB. Secondary drive can be larger.

The requirement per Microsoft Documentation of the installation of SharePoint states that the primary disk requires 80GB of space.

Questions are as follows:

1. Can SharePoint Server be installed on a secondary drive (D) on not on the primary drive (C)?
  2. Does the primary drive have to be 80GB, or can it be less (60GB)? 
  3. What is the purpose of the D Drive on the SharePoint Server, if you install SharePoint Server on Drive C? If I install SP on Drive D, will I also need a Drive E for some purpose?

Thank you.

2 Replies
1) No, basically all core components must be installed on C:. 60GB is really quite small for this (also consider things like applying updates to Windows/SharePoint and so on).

2) It _can_ be, but you'll want to point the Search service locations during setup to an alternate drive.

3) Not sure what you mean here, your drive layout depends on your requirements. For example, I provision a drive for logs (ULS, IIS, etc.) and another for the Search Index, perhaps another for BLOB Cache. Like all things SharePoint architecture, _it depends_. ;)

Hi Trevor,

I want to understand what happens if the space is 20 -30 GB as the data will not be more than 20GB in my SharePoint environment ? If I install the SharePoint on D drive with 30GB what would be the consequences ?This is a Client's question as they want to stick to 30GB drive space.

Please advise.