Sending Alert to DL

Silver Contributor

We have a Distribution List that can be resolved in Outlook Web Mail, but not when we try to configure a SPO alert. Is this supposed to work?

9 Replies

Thanks, it sort of does, but since it is so old, I'm not very confident that it still applies. I have learned that many of those limitations from on-premises no longer apply in Office 365, but it is hard to figure out which ones have been eliminated and which one are still in effect. 

Try it and let us know...

Regards.

@Dean Gross it still applies. If the group is just a distribution list only you cannot use it for alerts. 

thanks, what about a Office Group? I'm expecting this work but it does not either.

@Dean Gross it sounds like you have the permissions to do this, but in the Office 365 admin console, go to Groups (under users) --> Shared Mailboxes you can create a "Group" that way.  I havent tested it, but I would assume if you leave the "Show in Global Address List" enabled, you might be able to use it for alerts.  Let me know if this helps.

Thanks we have an Office Group created and configured the document library to send an alert to it, but nothing ever shows up in the groups mailbox or in the mailbox of the group members. I have a support ticket opened, but I'm wondering if this is even supposed to work.

I would just use Flow instead :).

@Dean Gross

Is the Group configured to accept emails from non-members?